FTM 2012 Crashed and won't load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2012 Crashed and won't load

I hope someone can help with my problem. I have been happily using FTM 2012 with Windows 10 for many months [upgraded from a laptop with Windows 8 installed on purchase] but yesterday the program crashed and caused my computer to restart.

I did a virus check on restarting my laptop - no issues detected
    I tried to restart FTM 2012 but it would not load
    This morning I uninstalled FTM 2012 on mylaptop and then installed another copy (which I had intended to use soon anyway for the feee 6 months Ancestry sub).
    That new copy of FTM 2012 will not load - and I notice it has not created a Family Tree Maker folder in My Documents

Can someone help please?

I have done a system restore on my laptop and that seems to have worked thankfully.

Comment

glad you sorted it Bertie

Comment

Thanks Val - the worrying thing is not knowing why it happened so could happen again! I'll need to keep my GEDCOMs up to date just in case I need to use a different software solution as if FTM won't open in future I'm left with nothing!

Comment

If I was you I'd get yourself a portable hard drive and back up to it regularily I have a passport there are others available

and maybe put your tree on www.tribalpages.com well worth doing
          Last edited by Guest; 09-04-16, 19:17.

Comment

Good advice of course! I do back up my files regularly to a USB, my iPod and also to a Western Digital drive so everything's safe and in different locations. However without working software the raw data is well nigh useless. I'll check out tribalpages (thanks) and perhaps look into alternative software (e.g. Family Historian) as FTM is actually quite slow with large databases (and is nearing the end of its life now with Ancestry's recent announcement).

Comment

sorry should have said if you dont have a good back up, I should not have assumed you dont I installed that Family Historian and cannot say I like it.
              I have my tree on a few sites as I am paranoid about losing it, tribal is really good, and dont know if you know but you can download a gedcom onto here too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                Good advice of course! I do back up my files regularly to a USB, my iPod and also to a Western Digital drive so everything's safe and in different locations. However without working software the raw data is well nigh useless. I'll check out tribalpages (thanks) and perhaps look into alternative software (e.g. Family Historian) as FTM is actually quite slow with large databases (and is nearing the end of its life now with Ancestry's recent announcement).
                Family Tree Maker has been taken over by MacKiev.
                Software MacKiev is an award-winning developer and publisher of premium quality software including Family Tree Maker®, KID PIX®, The Print Shop®, Roger Wagner’s HyperStudio®, Mavis Beacon® Teaches Typing, 3D Weather Globe™, WORLD BOOK® Encyclopedia, ClueFinders® Adventures series, Thinkin’ Things® and Thinkin’ Science®, and a growing line of iPhone and iPad apps.

If you are going to move your data from FTM to another software program you should consider which ones can import more than the usual GEDCOM which is data only. This could mean that any documents/images attached to your FTM tree will not transfer.

I can recommend Family Historian - takes a bit of getting used to if like me you've been a FTM user for a time - but seems to offer so much more.
                You might want to check out the User Group and the Knowledge Base - both very helpful!
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine - I think FH may be a very useful alternative as I did note that they can transfer over images / docs [v. important to me as I have every relevant BMD, census etc, attached to all my tree members so I would NOT want to recreate that manually!]. I have a mental note to take a serious look at FH later in the year (I note there is a 20% discount for FTM users currently) and to see how things stand with the MacKiev offering at that time. All in all I suspect my laptop had a glitch rather than a fault with FTM but I do find FTM quite slow to load and is slow to move once opened

Comment

Bertie - I've recently moved some of my research data from Family Tree Maker to Family Historian and had no trouble transferring data, images, attached documents etc.
                    There is a free trial available if you want to evaluate it.
                    Elaine

Comment

That's well worth knowing Elaine and gives me food for thought. Thanks

Comment

Elaine - I have created some additional fact types in FTM e.g. 'Event' and 'Incident' to link to newspaper clippings for example. Do you know whether such new fact types are automatically created in Familh Historian along with the accompanying media when FTM GEDCOMs are imported? (I may need to search the FHUG on this - please don't do any digging on my behalf!)

Comment

Don't know I am afraid. Join the forum and ask there - they're a helpful and friendly bunch and are probably answering quite a few questions at the moment on FTM imports into FH.
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X