Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free tree that will convert multiple place names

Hi

im sure when I purchased FTM years ago you had the option to change all the place names that show up as a certain type. I want to set my tree so all the places have the same format (town, county, county), is there a free software that will do it?

thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Since no one else has suggested anything, here's an idea -
    Family Historian offers a 30 free trial.
    It allows you do work directly with place names, and update them or merge them with another place*, affecting all the records associated with that place.
    It works directly with gedcoms - you'll need to export a gedcom from ftm, manipulate that gedcom with fh, then upload the file back to ftm.
    Back up all your work.

*e.g., say you have Ballymoney, Antrim, Ireland and Ballymoney, Antrim, Northern Ireland - you could merge them together.

It's been a while since I used this feature on FH, and I'm using an old version - any others using fh have comments?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      Since no one else has suggested anything, here's an idea -
      Family Historian offers a 30 free trial.
      It allows you do work directly with place names, and update them or merge them with another place*, affecting all the records associated with that place.
      It works directly with gedcoms - you'll need to export a gedcom from ftm, manipulate that gedcom with fh, then upload the file back to ftm.
      Back up all your work.

*e.g., say you have Ballymoney, Antrim, Ireland and Ballymoney, Antrim, Northern Ireland - you could merge them together.

It's been a while since I used this feature on FH, and I'm using an old version - any others using fh have comments?
      I use FH6 and that is how I got my own places sorted out as you are able to batch process them. It still takes time to work through them, it took me a couple of DAYS, but it was well worth it . I just need to be disciplined with my entries now.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Well, yes, its a great feature but you can only do each place name at a time, working carefully through them all. This is something I did recently and it took about a week to work through and standardise all my place names. You can check 'where used' in case that's needed.

I do not know if it would work with a free trial .... it used to be tha case that you couldn't save stuff with the free trial which was otherwise a full working copy.

Anne

LOL Caroline .... you were a quick worker!
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-02-16, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          LOL Caroline .... you were a quick worker!
          Well it was whole days and maybe closer to three!! I didn't mention the sore wrist/RSI from all the right clicking ...... :(
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Do you no longer have your version of FTM? In FTM 2014 (not sure about earlier versions) you can change place names by clicking on Places, then right click on the list that comes up. It gives you the option of replacing/changing place names - very similar to FH.

(Like Caroline I also spent several days tidying up my places in FH - I sympathise re. the RSI!)
            Last edited by Lindsay; 28-02-16, 14:51.

Comment

thanks all for your replies, will try FH. I don't have FTM anymore as I rarely use a PC, only at work
              Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
              X