Computer updates as recommended by microsoft - a warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer updates as recommended by microsoft - a warning

I have always tended to ignore these because I have no idea what it is all about. I use Windows 7 and that is about all I know!
    My husband told me to always allow Microsoft to install updates!
    Today I clicked "yes" to installing updates and guess what ............they tried 3 times to install this new thingy - Microsoft 10 I think - anyway, it is the one that everyone is having trouble with.
    THEY FAILED with that update - my computer would not accept it thankfully.
    I have not yet clicked on "accept" for the new updates - quite frankly I don't have a clue what most of them are - I cannot accept them individually, it is "all or nothing".
    Basically, it would appear that Microsoft themselves are having as much trouble installing Microsoft 10. I personally have not tried to install it myself having heard so much about the disasters.
    Obviously I must need some of the updates but do not have an option as to which ones should be installed. I haven't a clue what most of them do (or what any of them do if I am honest) but because computer keeps "freezing" thought I probably should add them.

How do others deal with "updates". All simple answers gratefully received! Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 28-10-15, 08:31.

You can choose which updates you want by going into Control Panel/Windows Update. One of the tabs on the left will have a list to show which updates there are and you can untick the ones you don't want.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Normal updates shouldn't be a problem, they are just small bits of code to update your existing Microsoft stuff, plug any security issues etc. However, if your computers has freezing problems then this type of update is unlikely to make any difference. You need to find the source of the problem and deal with it.

Windows 10 is a whole new operating system - not something you should be installing if you don't understand what that means, certainly not something to do without making sure all your valuable data is safely backed up first, and don't try and install it with any other updates. The install also seems to work much better over a wired connection, not using wireless.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you both for your replies.

Wendy: Didn't know about the control panel and updates - it doesn't actually matter now because I didn't click on the box below to add because I had lost the page! Undoubtedly it will all pop up again but shall know what to do this time.

Antony - apparently Microsoft had already tried x3 on the same date to install "10" and it said the attempts had failed - I suspect that suggests that my computer would have problems if they had managed to install it.
        I am on a Windows 7 premium laptop (with larger screen attached so that I can see what I am doing) - I suspect I should keep my computer well away from Windows 10. Since my computer knowledge is zilch I try to keep away from all things technical as much as possible.

I suspect my computer may be freezing because I have too much on it but there is nothing on there I want to dispose of!
        It has been suggested in the past that I should keep my finger popping hands away from anything other than typing and looking up things! Why is it all so complicated?

Many thanks to both of you.

Comment

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in January this year. This means that other than the Win10 upgrade, any updates you are getting are security fixes. I'd advise you to get someone who is comfortable with PCs to check Control Panel to make sure they are being installed as otherwise you may be vulnerable to malicious software. Windows 7 goes end of life in 2020, after which no further security fixes will be released. If you're nervous of the Win10 upgrade, you can still safely use Win7 until then.

I'd also agree with Antony that you should get someone to investigate wh the PC is freezing. It won't get any better by itself.
          Rick

Comment

Poor old Windows 7!! sob sob
            Is Windows 8 or 9 not available?
            At the rate I go through computers this machine won't make it to 2020.
            Will get husband to talk to computer repairer!

Comment

Windows 8 was a total pain but the update to 8.1 was worth doing. I'm no great tech head myself but I was happy with 8.1 yet I took the risk of indtslling the upgrade to 10. Swings and roundabouts with it but am getting used to it now. I look on forums to find answers to my problems and all the adjustments recommended have worked fine. I do not like the Edge browser so have made IE my default. Once more sites integrate with Edge, I might try it again.

If you click in box next to the Win 10 upgrade/update you will see an option to hide the update. Tick this and it won't try to install itself again.

As someone already said, you can see a list of what updates are there before you download and install them. Use the hide option for any that you really don't want. Make sure that your update setting is not set to automatic before you begin because if it is, you will get everything whether you want it or not. The setting you want is one which allows them to inform you that updates are available but lets you decide if you want them or not.

I would let somebody who knows what they are doing look at your machine though. You need to make sure you are up to date with the security and fix type updates and also check for viruses and that your firewall/antivirus is current. The petson should also be able to spot if there is anything that is hogging processor resources and give the machine a good old tidy up.
              Before letting anybody near it - back up all your data to another hard drive. Get into good habits and back up at least weekly. I use an external drive which plugs in via USB and it's great. I got it in Currys.
              Not meaning to bamboozle you but depending on the amount of data you have, you could also store a backup on "the cloud" in a free account. This can be synched eith your laptop so every time you make changes to a file, the latest version is stored in the cloud. It sounds scary but it's not and once you have been shown what do, it's really easy.
              Good luck!

Comment

Apologies for the typos in above post, am waiting for a cataract op next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                  Poor old Windows 7!! sob sob
                  Is Windows 8 or 9 not available?
                  At the rate I go through computers this machine won't make it to 2020.
                  Will get husband to talk to computer repairer!
                  8/8.1 wouldn't be free, unlike 10 and there was no 9. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 with no problems, but others have had problems upgrading from 7. There's a new build of 10 due in November too.
                  Rick

Comment

Many thanks for that - I actually understood it!
                    I think your idea of using an external hard drive to back up is a brilliant idea - I am pretty sure my husband has one - everything goes on to a disc if I remember correctly.
                    Security backup is McAfee - this runs out in December but will re-join. Have not had problems with bugs since we have had McAfee.
                    Don't worry about the typos and very best wishes for your upcoming cataract removal ............. my husband had it done a couple of years ago and the result was very good indeed - I think they did each eye a week apart.

Comment

I am in same boat, MS keeps trying to install new windows 10 but it fails every time. I rather wanted it to be honest, thought win 7 has been fine. I did a lot of searching on the net and it seems a lot of people particularly those with samsung laptops are having the same problem. Apparently samsung has software which sort of stops anything extreme being installed from MS because of the amount of problems it can cause.

Comment

The comment about Samsung blocking the download is a load of hogwash

There are known to be a number of problems with the required download package downloading as a 'trickle' in the background and then trying to install.

I had this problem on my Win 7 Lenovo laptop and on my Dell laptop

The answer was to directly download the package from Microsoft
                        windows 7 iso, how to reinstall windows 7, how to restore windows 7, download windows 7 iso, restore windows 7, software recovery, software restore, operating system recovery, Microsoft software recovery, Windows 7 software recovery, Windows 7 operating system recovery, Microsoft operating system recovery, Microsoft recovery, Windows 7 ISO, Windows 7 ISO image, Windows 7, restore Windows 7, reinstall windows 7, re-download Windows 7, Windows 7 disc image

Then install it.
                        I did this on both laptops and the upgrade worked well, with no problem on either since the upgrade.

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Duplicated
                          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-11-15, 13:12.

Comment

Trevor Ive tried this solution over and over and I can assure you it will not work on my laptop. There are a number of sites concerning the blocking of updates by Samsung and some other manufacturers and apparently samsung has promised to remedy this with a patch. I have tried again last night to download manually and it again hangs on the second boot which is what is happening with the hundreds of others with the same problem.

Ive also only just realised just how many of the MS updates that should have downloaded automatically on my samsung are showing as "failed" - the majority of them in fact.

Comment

I am typing this on my Samsung laptop ... using Windows 10, which was upgraded from W8.1, and have been for weeks now, so I doubt that that link is true as Trevor so graphically said.. along with lots of other impatient people in August, I had several "failed" downloads at the start but that was because it wasn't "my turn". When it was, it went through with no problems.

That link is from June so must be well out of date by now anyway.
                              Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

No caroline, it is still current, there are several forums discussing it. May be its from win 7 rather than 8.1

Comment

Still ongoing with the MS forum

They are talking about taking out the wireless card and all sorts of weird and wonderful cures - dont think I have the skill for all that - there is supposed to be a patch for it this month, so I will hang on.
                                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 07-11-15, 14:51.

Comment

I have just realised that McAfee is almost certainly blocking the down?/up? loading of Windows 10.
                                    I am relieved. I haven't asked them to do this but I am glad they are because being Windows 7 I believe this is the system where it seems it can go horribly wrong from what I have read. Sue

Comment

Reboot your system into safe mode
                                      Select safemode with Internet access
                                      It will load with the minimum of background programs, which shoud include what Samsung uses to monitor what is being installed (big brother software strikes once again!)
                                      Then make sure that you download the hole installation package before you install it.

Did that on three staff laptops which were Samsung and it worked.

Researching:
                                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor, I will have a go. Im thinking may be my puter is a bit old perhaps and it was a cheap model. But I will try yet again.x

Sue, I disabled my kaspersky to try to install win 10 but no luck.

Comment

Working...
                                        X