Ancestry - is multiplying the entries on my tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry - is multiplying the entries on my tree

I have a confusing enough tree with cousins marrying each other in every generation but Ancestry seems to have just made the problem a whole lot more confusing for me.

When first cousins marry, their marriage and off spring now appear under both people/areas of the tree e.g william case marries his first cousin ellen goold (they are both my 1st cousins x times removed) so in one place william is shown as my cousin and Ellen as wife of my cousin but move along the tree until you get to Ellen and here she is shown as my cousin and william as husband of cousin but all their children are shown in both places. And when those children go and marry another first cousin off the tree it is a recipe for chaos on Ancestry. This tree looks like a railway map with lines going everywhere.

I don't remember Ancestry doing this before or have I just been unobservant or is this one of their improvements? It is happening on both the old and new site.

Any suggestions as to how I can stop it would be gratefully received.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Take a look at the Habsburgs! Sadly that's what inbreeding (cousin marriages) does to a family tree.
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Bo, it seems to be a fairly common problem at the moment - a number of similar complaints being reported in genealogy groups on Facebook.
      To be honest I don't think it is anything you are doing wrong, or anything you have control over.
      Would suggest you contact Ancestry direct to see if they can help.
      Hopefully you have a back up of your tree - done at the time when all was well!
      Elaine

Comment

sadly not Elaine - I've moved to an Apple computer and don't have a family tree programme on it - any suggestions would be gratefully received as I have been lead to believe either rightly or wrongly I don't know that FTM doesn't work on a Mac?.
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
          sadly not Elaine - I've moved to an Apple computer and don't have a family tree programme on it - any suggestions would be gratefully received as I have been lead to believe either rightly or wrongly I don't know that FTM doesn't work on a Mac?.
          You would need to get Family Tree Maker for Mac. I think the download version from itunes is cheaper than purchasing the disc from Amazon/Ancestry - and as far as I know works in just the same way although doubt if it comes with the free Ancestry sub as disc versions normally do.
          Maybe a Mac user can confirm!

There are other Mac programs - not sure which is the best - but you really need something other than relying on Ancestry to host your tree. Too many reports at the moment of things going wrong.
          Elaine

Comment

Working...
          X