Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of FTM 2014 questions

Hi all, two questions if I may.

1) How can I stop individuals with multiple partners appearing with [1] numbers by their name and being in dotted line boxes? Sometimes people don't have this and the partner just appears next to them, and yet sometimes they do, and they appear in a separate sections. It doesn't seem consistent, and if they don't have any children from the second marriage then I don't see a reason to do it. It looks really untidy and I find it annoying =/

2) How can I make it so that all children stem from their mothers rather than their fathers? The lines that go from box to box seem to randomly connect from either the mum or dad, and I don't know what determines which. I'd like it to be consistent.

Thanks!
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Originally posted by James18 View Post

1) How can I stop individuals with multiple partners appearing with [1] numbers by their name and being in dotted line boxes? Sometimes people don't have this and the partner just appears next to them, and yet sometimes they do, and they appear in a separate sections. It doesn't seem consistent, and if they don't have any children from the second marriage then I don't see a reason to do it. It looks really untidy and I find it annoying =/
    Are you trying to create what's known as an extended chart? If so the format of this is that every generation is on the same line - therefore when you have someone marrying into one section of the family, it's impossible to add their ancestors and descendants where they appear on the main chart - FTM therefore creates a mini tree for them and adds the number (1) to indicate that it's a second entry for that person. Take a look at one of the sections in your chart that has the dotted line boxes and try to imagine it in the main body of your chart - think you will find it just wont fit!

2) How can I make it so that all children stem from their mothers rather than their fathers? The lines that go from box to box seem to randomly connect from either the mum or dad, and I don't know what determines which. I'd like it to be consistent.
    It's annoying! If you look at your chart the children seem to stem from the person who has married into that branch of the tree, which is why it's sometimes the father, other times the mother. I don't know of a way to amend this.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you for your answers, Elaine. Much appreciated.

I just don't understand why on one family tree I have second spouses appearing as I'd like, and then on my other family tree I have the [1] and dotted line boxes with their own little family tree sections.

I wish there was a way to change that. :(

Comment

The inclusion of second spouses within the main chart will work if they only have descendants. Does the one which appears with dotted line boxes have ancestors added to them - if so the ancestral lines just wont fit in with the main chart, which is why they are given their own "mini tree".
        Elaine

Comment

Seriously... I mean, look at this.

Why the hell is that necessary? It looks awful.

And yet elsewhere on that family tree, I have other examples of people with two spouses, and they appear as I'd like, without the dotted line rubbish.

Is there seriously no way to change this? Why can't John Checkley just appear the other side of Mary Preedy? :(

Comment

Why can't John Checkley just appear the other side of Mary Preedy?
            In your actual tree, does John Checkley have any ancestors?
            .. and what sort of chart are you creating here, e.g. ancestor, descendant, extended ??
            Elaine

Comment

John Checkley is married to Mary, before she marries Thomas French. Checkley has no ancestors or descendants; I'm not doing his family, and I know of no children from John & Mary.

It's an extended chart, Elaine.

Comment

Also, how can I make additional facts (such as marriage dates) appear on the actual family tree boxes? Again, I am using an extended chart.

When in the People tab I can click 'Customize View' and see that births, marriages and deaths are displayed, but marriages do not appear on the actual tree when I view the Publish tab.

EDIT: For example, I have no idea how I'd have it look like this.
                Last edited by James18; 30-09-15, 09:03.

Comment

I share your pain with the charts James! One of the reasons I have just moved from FTM to Family Historian!

Re the duplicate boxes, I really do not know the answer and I am not aware of any way you can get round them.

Re making additional facts appear in charts, that one I can answer!
                  On the following link scroll down to CHART OPTIONS ICONS and take a look at the ITEMS TO INCLUDE section. You need to select the "marriage fact" by clicking on the "blue plus" sign - you can also definte the date format at the same time, e.g. just year or full date (written in various ways).

Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much, Elaine.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      I share your pain with the charts James! One of the reasons I have just moved from FTM to Family Historian!
                      Welcome to Family Historian, Elaine! Hope you are finding the changeover smooth. I'm sure you know about the excellent Family Historian User Group http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/
                      The expert users on there can help with any problems you might have, in greater detail than you ever imagined possible!
                      Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne.
                        I struggled with it for a while, changing back and forth between FTM and FH - but am now fully convinced Family Historian is the way to go!
                        .. and yes I've found - and used - the usergroup!
                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                        X