FTM import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM import

Hello again, due to external issues I've been away from my tree for a year, I'm now back to selecting a replacement for my older version of Legacy.

I'm interested in the new FTM, I like the looks of it, but unsure how well it will fit my needs, I really, really, wish they had an evaluation version available like Family Historian does :( Not having this very much puts me off the product (suspiciously wondering what they have to hide!).

Can anyone tell me how well it is likely to import my Legacy database? Can it import the fdb directly or will I need to export to Gedcom? (I'm aware of the somewhat 'unusual' Gedcom that Legacy can create, for example unknown tags).

Whichever of those methods I use, can it automatically relink all the images?

If using Gedcom, and assuming I do get unrecognised tags, how easy are they to correct?

I don't currently have FTM installed but I have used it in the past as a follow on to Legacy. A number of issues arise from importing a GEDCOM, and not just from Legacy. Legacy at least as a large number of options available to customise the export. For example you can choose not to export unusual tags, you can decide where to break lines when exporting notes and so on. The net result is that it is necessary to experiment to get a form that FTM is happy with. On the other side FTM has some import issues (and I am working from memory) the short form title used in Legacy to identify sources is ignored, place field are usually imported OK but are automatically 'not recognised'. and so on.

I have to say that as a result of my moving data from Legacy to FTM without the hindsight I now have, virtually all my notes were corrupted with missing and or extra spaces.

I think FTM is a very good programme in many ways. I have stopped using it because I found it to be unstable, crashing regularly, and that made it unsuitable for me.

David

Comment

I shoud have mentioned that if you intend to subscribe to ancestry.co.uk then you can get FTM 2014 with a 6-month premium subscription for about half the cost of a premium subscription - whch is a great deal even if you don't eventually use FTM2014

David

Comment

Thank you David. Reliability is much more important to me than just about anything else and you are not the first person I've seen comment on this problem. I've also read a lot of negative comments on their support and this fits with my own experience some time ago when I twice tried to get a question answered on their website Contact Us but I never got a reply. I think I shall be giving FTM a miss, sad.
        Last edited by IanB; 28-06-15, 22:01.

Comment

I really recommend Family Historian. As well as it being a very versatile and detailed program there is a wonderful User Group (not run by the program makers). They could guide you through any difficulties you find in immense detail. Find them here http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/
          Anne

Comment

I've just downloaded and installed the FH 30-day trial, thanks Anne

Comment

In my experience moving research between software packages always causes a few issues, mainly because they all seem to interpret the gedcom standard in slightly different ways. I would choose the software you get on best with, expect some issues to sort out when you make the move, and then stick with it.

As David mentions the inclusion of 3 or 6 months Ancestry subscription included with FTM does make it a very good deal - even if you just use the ancestry membership and ditch FTM, so you can treat that as an evaluation copy !

Personally I use FTM most of the time, and have had no problems with it at all, but Family Historian is also very good.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
              X