No announcement yet.

Family Tree Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm - sounds as if some gremlins have got into your tree at some point. Not sure what you can do about it to be honest. If the image isn't on the Ancestry tree, or has somehow got replaced, then I don't know how you would get it back, apart from uploading it again. I just hope that the data hasn't been affected.

I've been thinking about your problems and even though I said stick with Ancestry and forget about FTM, on reflection that really was not very good advice!
    You shouldn't really depend on an external website such as Ancestry to host your tree without creating good backups so that if anything goes wrong, you have an alternative - which of course is where Family Tree Maker is a useful program.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, Am going to copy Tree and save and then ?ask anc.co for help (they will probably tell me to change to google chrome - stock answer to everything) and/or ask husband to disconnect what he did when he set up this computer. Can't save the pictures of course but may just have saved what has appeared instead of Astbury Church! This is one of the multiple pictures from the corrupted FTM.
      from corrupted FTM.jpg

Sue
      Last edited by Sue1; 19-05-15, 00:24.

Comment

Elaine ................just found something incredibly useful.
        On the front page of ancestry trees - the page where you download a Gedcom (which I have just done for all 3 Trees), right below it is a facility to disconnect from FTM - has to be done separately for each Tree and cannot be undone.
        I will give it a go on one of the Trees tomorrow - probably the one with least on it - if it works with no problems I will do the same for the other 2 Trees.

Sue - how could I have never noticed that before?

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
          Elaine ................just found something incredibly useful.
          On the front page of ancestry trees - the page where you download a Gedcom (which I have just done for all 3 Trees), right below it is a facility to disconnect from FTM - has to be done separately for each Tree and cannot be undone.
          I will give it a go on one of the Trees tomorrow - probably the one with least on it - if it works with no problems I will do the same for the other 2 Trees.

Sue - how could I have never noticed that before?
          Maybe that is the cause of the problem - Ancestry is trying to connect with FTM on your computer - and can't find FTM to connect to!

Once you get these trees disconnected from FTM I would recommend you try to reinstall FTM and then do manual syncs so that you have full backups of each tree. If you decide to do that let me know and I'll find some links to help!
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Have done one Tree and it seems fine - difficult to check the whole thing though. It is, however, the smallest and least used Tree that I have. About to do main Tree - this is the one that wouldn't connect properly in the first place to FTF - it was unable to upload/download/protect (whatever) the pictures so they were never protected.
            I think, whatever happens, when I have disconnected FTM fully from all Trees (3) I will have to get OH to remove the remnants of what he forgot to fully reconnect when he set up my new computer.
            Have not yet found where I "safely" put disc - I still have, I think on pm, your instructions as how to upload/download FTM to the Trees plus OH also supervised whilst I did it.
            Have to admit to being very wary up adding it to Trees again but realise that I DO need a backup as I have nothing whatsoever to protect the Trees.

Will let you know what happens (or maybe you will read of a suicide! - actually they are not really that important, only joking.)

Sue
            Last edited by Sue1; 19-05-15, 14:09.

Comment

Good luck Sue. First of all get them disconnected - and then when you find the disc go for the manual sync, not automatic.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - will do - may have to wait for assistance from OH BUT there is a footie match on it would appear! Patience is a virtue and still don't know where disc is anyway! Sue

Comment

If I were you, I'd buy a portable hard disk and backup all your trees and all your images to that. I recently bought a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB drive and it's very good. WD stands for Western Digital.

Comment

Now that does sound interesting - would like to use something that will save pictures and this sounds excellent.
                    I can see there is going to be some interesting experimentation with technology ahead of me

Sue

Comment

Working...
                    X