Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I lost my Records Due To FTM 2012 Programming Defects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I lost my Records Due To FTM 2012 Programming Defects?

I can't open my records due to a fault in my FTM 2012 programme is it possible to recover my records?
    When I open FTM 2012 on my computer I get a Syntax Error message, then another message that Family Tree Maker 2012 has stopped working the only option you have is to close the programme.
    This doesn't appear to be a new fault as it is the same fault that users of FTM 2010 experience, which the programme producers have not rectified, have they buried their heads in the sand hoping it will go away?
    I couldn't upload a video, but I recorded what happens and the link below will take you my flickr site where you can play it and see the problem I have.

Your data file will still be there. By default it is stored in My Documents/Family Tree Maker - there should be a folder which is called treename Media - and a file which will just be your tree name.

There seems to be an issue with FTM 2010/2012 at the moment which some people have said started after a recent Java update - I left a message on Jood's thread earlier on. FTM are aware of it and have apparently issued a patch .. which didn't work. I've been told by another FTM user that they have said they are working on it but no idea how long it will take! Not a lot of help unfortunately.

If you need to move your data to another program you could do this by exporting a GEDCOM file from you current tree - but of course you can't open the program to do so. If you want to send the data file to me by email I could do it for you - send me a pm if you want me to help.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Your data file will still be there. By default it is stored in My Documents/Family Tree Maker - there should be a folder which is called treename Media - and a file which will just be your tree name.

There seems to be an issue with FTM 2010/2012 at the moment which some people have said started after a recent Java update - I left a message on Jood's thread earlier on. FTM are aware of it and have apparently issued a patch .. which didn't work. I've been told by another FTM user that they have said they are working on it but no idea how long it will take! Not a lot of help unfortunately.

If you need to move your data to another program you could do this by exporting a GEDCOM file from you current tree - but of course you can't open the program to do so. If you want to send the data file to me by email I could do it for you - send me a pm if you want me to help.
      Thank you Elaine I have sent you a PM.
      Kind regards Jeff

Comment

Try re-installing FTM2012.

When it has installed direct the program to your earlier files.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Wish me luck Elaine, I have downloaded the trial for Family Historian (shiver shake) - it is very pale, but I havent looked around yet.
          jood sadly died in November 2019.

Comment

Every time I open FTM 2014 for the last week I get a message that it has stopped working. It then shuts down. When I do it again straight after it comes up telling me it didn't shut down properly, to compact the file. Then opens up.

Tora

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
              Family Historian (shiver shake) - it is very pale
              Good luck, you can change the colours on the Focus Window, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEGPSND37S4
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Working...
              X