X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download

Hi there,
    Three questions if I may.

Is there a specific version of FTM for the UK and is it different from (say) the USA version? I live in Canada but was born in England as were all my ancestors and I would like a version tailored to that country (unlike Legacy which seems tailored to the USA).

From where exactly is a UK version of FTM downloaded? (I add the 'exactly' as I annoyingly keep getting redirected to the .CA or .COM sites). It seems very difficult to locate the correct download site!

Is there a trial version available? I have tried the trials of FH and Legacy and I'd like to try FTM now - I'm really quite reluctant/unlikely to purchase until I am sure it meets my needs.

Many thanks
    Ian

Have never used a download version so no idea where they originate.
    Re trial version - unfortunately not available.
    Elaine

Comment

I'm in Australia and normally buy my downloads from Avanquest you do have to click on the box to tell them what country you are in. They also show you how it works. I don't think FTM is different throughout the world as I have a world wide sub for Ancestry and it works on all countries.

Tora

Comment

Hi Ian

FTM is only available as a purchased application, as unlike other software, they do not ask for product keys etc.
        The software is not country specific, it just works on your computer and it is linked to the Ancestry subscription you have when you register it, by entering your Ancestry account information.

Trev

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

This is very strange. On the Nova Development website, http://www.novadevelopment.com/, they are selling Family Tree Maker and one can select to buy it as either a box or a download. It can also be bought from http://www.ancestry.com/cs/apps/P-5194 as a download. The 'strange' bit is that although it can be downloaded from Ancestry.com it doesn't seem to be mentioned (at all!) on Ancestry.co.uk.

My original question was because I was assuming there was a different version for the UK. Does anyone know if there is something different about these two downloads?
          Last edited by IanB; 09-08-14, 23:46.

Comment

According to this link, the download version of FTM via Ancestry is only available in US & Canada.

I believe the sales of FTM in UK/Europe are handled by Avanquest Software - and checking the UK section of their website they seem to offer the download version.

Also, take a look at Amazon UK as the download version is available there at a slightly cheaper price - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Tree-.../dp/B00G5TL6J4

As to whether there is any difference between the UK and US versions, there may well be as I have just checked my FTM2014 disc and it has the Avanquest logo, the UK flag and UK Version written on it.
            It might be worthwhile contacting Avanquest to see if they can answer your query -
            Elaine

Comment

Had a quick google as to what the differences might be and came up with these comments. Whether they are still valid with the 2014 version I don't know!
              • Timeline of historical events may be geared to region, i.e. UK version will be heavily UK/Europe based, although it does include World facts as well. (Just checked my own program and 2014 does seem to include a fair spread of worldwide events).
              • US v UK spelling
              • Default search using the hints (green leaves) - UK version will default to searching www.ancestry.uk - US version will default to searching www.ancestry.com - It appears you can change the country code of the disc in the Registry but from what I have read some people have had problems with this!

Avanquest appear to be part of the Nova Development group so they should be able to clarify.
              If you do make contact perhaps you could let us know the outcome - might be useful for others.
              Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine, thank you for your replies.

As suggested I went to the Avanquest website and completed their form on Sunday 10th Aug but despite saying they will respond within 48 hour they have not done so. I will give them a couple more days and try again. If I do ever hear from them I will surely add a reply here.

One small point. Looking at the Amazon link you provide they have a picture of their boxed set, as do Avanquest. However the Avanquest box clearly shows a Union Jack, suggesting this is a UK version, but the Amazon one does not. So Amazon either have the wrong picture or it's not a UK version.

I would be interested if anyone has downloaded from Amazon and what version it is.

Comment

Working...
                X