• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM Problem

Eeek! I can't open my FTM trees.

Getting a little box:

FTM 2012 has stopped working.
    A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. blah blah

It was fine a couple of hours ago and now I can't do a thing with it.

Any ideas anyone??

You sometimes get that sort of error message when you have clicked to open the program, and then impatiently clicked again! It seems to confuse FTM!
    Suggest you reboot the computer and try again, if you haven't already done so.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I tried that but it didn't work. It is the actual program, rather than my files as it won't even open an old tree back-up that I had on the computer.

I've had a google and it seems to be a relatively common bug with FTM 2012. It seems I have to uninstall the program, reinstall it and upload my trees from another source. Luckily I have them on an external hard drive. Hope it works anyway. Flamin' nuisance really.

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post
        Eeek! I can't open my FTM trees.

Getting a little box:

FTM 2012 has stopped working.
        A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. blah blah

It was fine a couple of hours ago and now I can't do a thing with it.

Any ideas anyone??
        The FTM 2012 64bit for the Windows 7 computer that I use has been a continual problem, currently it closes instantly as soon as you open so I have no access to my records, it has turned out to be worst programme I have ever purchased!
        The FTM 2012 online help falls into the useless category and the suggested procedures to rectify the problems I have don't work, now I can't use it because how can you use FTM 2012 online help if the programme closes instantly before you can do anything?
        Online help suggests that we delete FTM 2012 off the computer and reload it this is again is only a temporary repair as the original problem is soon back to haunt you.
        Come on Avanquest Software you want us to purchase FTM 2014 when FTM 2012 was nothing but trouble, sort out FTM 2012 I might then consider purchasing FTM 2014.
        Otherwise I will see what else is available.

Comment

I have got the impression that there are apparently a lot of problems with FTM 2012, but I've had the program for ages and this is the first time I've had any issues with it. Unfortunately, this is a very big issue!

Comment

Hi I am having the same issues - only started a few days ago and I cannot access any of my data at all - total of probably 10,000 records!!!!!!! looking at other forums I think it may be something to do with the latest Java updates and at the moment I am just keeping all fingers crossed that it will be resolved in the next few days - will panic next week. Up untill now i have never had any problems with FTM and have been a loyal user right from the start. :(

Comment

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and exactly the same thing is happening. No idea what to do now.

Would upgrading to 2014 make any difference?? I'm loathe to fork out on it (especially as I don't actually need or want it!) if it's not going to remove the problem.

All and any opinions desperately and gratefully received, thank you. *sobs*

Comment

One of our members is having the same problem and he told me he was going to buy FTM 2014 tomorrow in the hope it solves the problem. I'll ask him if he would update this thread following his purchase!
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I'm getting into more and more of a mess now. I followed Ancestry's instructions for uninstalling on Windows 8, which is slightly different to how I would normally uninstall a program. Tried to reinstall and now I'm getting a "fatal error during installation" message ............

At least it can't get any worse, at least I hope not.

Comment

just had yet another Java update through the ether. However once it had installed I have now tried FTM and it has loaded up with out any error message - progress maybe but I'm not totally convinced yet. I am just going to hold on a while longer befoe I reinstall, upgrade or anything.

Comment

Phew, phew, got it installed and working ............ not sure for how long either, it spluttered and coughed a few times in the installing process.

To get this far, I did a System Restore from a point about a month ago. Seems to have helped at least!

Comment

My system seems to be working fine and all I have done is install all the Java updates I have received in the last 2 or 3 days. no restore, no re-install and no upgrade. for anyone who has done a system restore or re-installed the software just beware when you get Java upgrades that it might affect your FTM system again.

Comment

i have had problems over the past few days but just kept clicking very fast to get FTM to do a 'compact' on the tree. then it seemed to work ok. then it went silly again so today i switched on computer, didnt connect to internet and clicked on FTM2012 and it opened fine!!!!! absolutely no idea why it did but then i connected to internet and left FTM open and it worked ok- i dont have FTM tree synchronised with ancestry.
                          Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                            i have had problems over the past few days but just kept clicking very fast to get FTM to do a 'compact' on the tree. then it seemed to work ok. then it went silly again so today i switched on computer, didnt connect to internet and clicked on FTM2012 and it opened fine!!!!! absolutely no idea why it did but then i connected to internet and left FTM open and it worked ok- i dont have FTM tree synchronised with ancestry.
                            That is what happened to mine very strange I couldn't open it for a couple of days this morning it's working perfectly.
                            I thought that I had lost my data, Avanquest must had sorted it overnight and sent out a covert patch/update which fixed the problem.

Comment

The error suggested the problem was being downloaded from the Ancestry web site, so my guess would be they have fixed the web site.
                              Jane
                              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Originally posted by jtaubman View Post
                                The error suggested the problem was being downloaded from the Ancestry web site, so my guess would be they have fixed the web site.
                                I have never been on the Ancestry web site I only use FTM 2012 as a stand alone data base and I had the problem in a big way the problem appears to be in the programme.

Comment

Originally posted by fronteria View Post
                                  I have never been on the Ancestry web site I only use FTM 2012 as a stand alone data base and I had the problem in a big way the problem appears to be in the programme.
                                  Yes, but I think even if you only use it as an offline database it still connects to Ancestry/Family Tree Maker Web sites.
                                  Jane
                                  Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                                  "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Originally posted by jtaubman View Post
                                    Yes, but I think even if you only use it as an offline database it still connects to Ancestry/Family Tree Maker Web sites.
                                    You can set it so that it does not connect to the internet, should you wish.
                                    Elaine

Comment

I have had this happen twice after upgrading to FTM 2014
                                      Luckily, I had kept the old 2012 versions backed up when it asked if I wanted to convert them.

I have gone back to 2012, as this was not the only problem since using 2014 (cannot open file xyz etc)
                                      Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 21-08-14, 11:12.

Researching:
                                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                                      X