No announcement yet.

How to 'stitch' branch onto main tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to 'stitch' branch onto main tree?

I have a fairly large tree...I have found that Family Tree isolates branches from the main tree as separate items even tho' a 'connection' relative is displayed on the main tree and also as a member on the isolated tree. For example, a distance relative is connected to the main tree. When I added a second husband and his family tree (of about 30 members), Family stopped the branch at the connection relative and drew a completely isolated tree adjacent to her portrait and data. She is displayed on both trees separately with no connecting branch line. Her name only comes up once on the master name list. If I click on her, her connection is displayed on the main tree without a corresponding connection line with her second husband, even tho' he is listed on her data block. If I go to the master list and click on the second husband, my relative is displayed as his wife along with his family tree, but there is no connection back to the master family tree. If I go to 'charts' and request a full display, the master family tree is displayed with the second husband's family tree drawn as an isolated tree positioned within a blank space inside the main trees connection lines!
    Is there any way to get Family Tree to connect the second husband's tree with the main tree? This 'isolation' has never occurred when adding the family of a single spouse. It only seems to occur with a second husband. It does not occur when a second, third, or even a fourth wife (and her family) is added to a male!

Are you talking about Family Tree Maker as your program - if so which version are you using.
    Are you saying that this problem is occurring when you create a chart - if so what type of chart of you creating?
    Elaine

Comment

I am using Family Tree 6.0.0.5634. To give you a concrete example, my maternal grandmother had a first husband and child (son). The 'Tree' display using Family Tree (editable) shows connection lines from my grandmother to both her first husband and second husband (my grandfather). In addition, Family Tree correctly draws additional lines to the son's wife and their included ancestors. But if I go to 'Charts' and choose ANY of the charts...the display always separates the first husband, his son, family members and ancestors from any connection with my grandmother's other family members. If I choose 'All-In-One' for example, my grandmother and her second husband (my grandfather) are correctly connected along with hundreds of relations. BUT the first husband/son/relations are drawn as a completely separate block of connections adjacent to my grandmother's data box. My grandmother is drawn as two identical, but NOT connected, adjacent information blocks. So Family Tree display makes line connections but the CHARTS options ALWAYS draws multiple (first) husbands/and relations as completely separate blocks not connected to the main family.

Comment

Originally posted by charles nelson View Post
        I am using Family Tree 6.0.0.5634.
        Not a program I am familiar with (am a Family Tree Maker user!)
        A couple of things I would look at - is it possible to select a "preferred spouse". If you have this set as the 2nd husband then it would possibly prioritise him in any chart or report. If he is selected as "preferred" them try deselecting him and the "select" the first spouse as "preferred" to see if it makes any difference.
        Have you checked the exact relationships between your grandmother and her two husbands - ensure they both show as spouses.

From what I can see Family Tree 6.0.0.5634 is also known as Family Tree Builder and is part of My Heritage software. They do have a dedicated support forum and it might be worthwhile posting your query there. http://www.myheritage.com/support-forums
        Elaine

Comment

Working...
        X