Ftm scrambles saved project data!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftm scrambles saved project data!

I have had consistent problems with the FTM software scrambling tree data after saving.
    I printed out branches of my Tree for hard copy evidence that the data was correctly entered: spouses, parents, children, etc. correctly entered.
    I then saved/backed up the project data.
    When I re-opened the tree project data at a later time...FTM had scrambled about 5-10% of the connections: children and spouses were missing,
    spouses were mixed...even same-sex spouses spliced together. Missing spouses were added as children to a family on a completely different branch.
    Printing out the incorrect branches and using the previous, correct, printouts, I was able to edit/correct the generated mistakes.
    After carefully checking and printing out new branches and re-checking the tree I then saved the project.

After opening the project, AGAIN...the software had again scrambled data!!!! But the scrambling was applied to different portions of branches than the previous time. It seems that saving a project causes random scrambling of information.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED...I AM JUST ABOUT TO DUMP FTM...I CAN'T AFFORD THE TIME TO ENTER 500-1000 ENTRIES AND THEN SPEND A WEEK FIXING GLITCHES CAUSED BY THE SOFTWARE.

Welcome to Family Tree Forum!

Are you using the sync facility, syncing your tree between Ancestry and FTM, if so does the scrambling happen after doing that - or does it happen at other times as well?
    Elaine

Comment

scramling occurs when simply simply Backup.

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Welcome to Family Tree Forum!

Are you using the sync facility, syncing your tree between Ancestry and FTM, if so does the scrambling happen after doing that - or does it happen at other times as well?
      I can be completely off the web and save/backup and the errors are generated.

I noticed in this forum several other members who have complained about the exact same errors occurring. Scrambling, etc.

If I 'Save' the project also when I file/backup project...the scrambling occurs. Nothing seems to correct the problem other than
      manually editting/deleting the errors and resaving.

The 'error' does not replicate on the same entries. It seems to be random. After I correct the errors...I print out a limited branch where the errors occurred. Then save. After re-opening, the corrections are preserved...but then I find other errors on other branches where the info was correct before the last save but are now scrambled.

This situation occurs essentially on EVERY save attempt.
      When I re-open FTM I automatically assume that I will have to randomly check all entrys to fix the new errors before I proceed to add additional entries.
      Last edited by charles nelson; 05-03-12, 15:01.

Comment

I don't use FTM, but can I suggest making regular gedcom exports, so at least you can load the data into another program fairly easily should you need to, also make sure you have copies of any attached source images or pictures as FTM does not export it's images when you create a gedcom file.
        Jane
        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Charles, just out of interest, are you using a "downloaded product" or did you puchase a CD?

To be honest, I am not sure that anyone on here can help, it sounds like an FTM or Ancestry sync bug. Have you tried contacting Support or posting on the Ancestry/Family Tree Maker message board?
          Elaine

Comment

Working...
          X