Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM advice please

I've just been bought a new laptop for my birthday;D

It's Windows 7 and I presume my FTM 2006 will not be compatible? Can anyone advise please. I don't mind paying to upgrade my FTM, but which version would be the best one?
    Looking for Allinson, Barker, Bedford, Crosby, Emanuel, Glasby, Heseltine, Lister, Moorhouse, Morgan, Rees, Seymour, Sidwell, Summers, Tate, Turpin, Wilson

I think Wendy Pusey has said that she is still using FTM2006 on a Windows 7 laptop - if she doesn't see this post it might be worth contacting her via PM.

If you are going to upgrade then I would suggest you go for the latest version which is FTM 2012 - best buy at the moment (presuming you would benefit from a 6 month free Ancestry subscription) is the Platinum package via Amazon

Cost is £36.97 and the package includes a free 6 month UK Premium Ancestry subscription which is worth £53.70

If you have Tesco points there is also an offer on this package - costs around £20.

Word of warning - the layout of the more recent versions of FTM is very different to the 2006 version. Takes a bit of getting used to but I prefer it now.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I will get in touch with Wendy.

I already do subscribe to Ancestry. Thanks for the word of warning about the newer versions. I seemed to remember that other people had said the newer versions were very different to the 2006, that's why I've stuck with it for so long!!
      Looking for Allinson, Barker, Bedford, Crosby, Emanuel, Glasby, Heseltine, Lister, Moorhouse, Morgan, Rees, Seymour, Sidwell, Summers, Tate, Turpin, Wilson

Comment

2006 version works fine with windows 7. You may need to install as administrator. Pretty sure there's a patch to install
        Sue ;)

Comment

Have replied to your PM Maggy.

Works fine for me.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Suein10b View Post
            2006 version works fine with windows 7. You may need to install as administrator. Pretty sure there's a patch to install
            it might do if your puter is 32bit. if it is 64bit it will not work under win7, then, you will have to upgrade FTM to a 64bit version.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My laptop is 64bit and FTM 2006 works fine on that as well.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                My laptop is 64bit and FTM 2006 works fine on that as well.
                maybe its different with different versions of FTM then. I had FTM2005 and loved it, then I upgraded my puter and it wouldnt work, so went to FTM2009, slowly got used to it... then had the upgrade to FTM2010/then 2011, new puter again, had to have another new version of FTM 2012 which is 64bit.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. My laptop is a 64 bit. Have had a look around and it seems that sometimes it FTM 2006 will work with it and sometimes it won't. Seems like it's just pot luck, so I maybe need to give it a try.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Comment

What does that mean please and how do I do it?
                    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
                      What does that mean please and how do I do it?
                      Start > find the drive with the cd in with FTM in > right click the set up .exe file from FTM in the drive > and select run as administrator
                      Sue ;)

Comment

Start > find the drive with the cd in with FTM in > right click the set up .exe file from FTM in the drive > and select run as administrator
                        Thanks Sue!
                        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Decided to buy a new version of FTM after all. Have just ordered FTM 2012 de luxe for £20.42 + £1.99 p+p from Computer Active magazine. Not a bad deal I think.
                          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Starting to think that might be the easiest way for me too Ann because I'm not too good with the technical side of things

Comment

Well I did transfer my FTM 2006 over to my new laptop (well my other half did!)and everything seems to be working ok for now

Comment

Originally posted by West Yorkshire Maggy View Post
                                Well I did transfer my FTM 2006 over to my new laptop (well my other half did!)and everything seems to be working ok for now
                                Good! I thought about having a go at installing my old FTM 2006 on my new PC running 64-bit Windows 7 but got cold feet in case something went wrong - like you Maggy, I'm not technically minded and don't have anyone else on tap to sort it out if the worst came to the worst. It's annoying to have had to spend money for a new program .... and now I wish I HAD given it a go! Too late though, the new FTM is on its way.
                                Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Hi Ann, my other half did say that when he installed it a message came up saying that one driver was incompatible, so I might find something later that isn't working right, but everything looks ok up to now. All my notes and photos seem to be in there.

Comment

Working...
                                  X