FTM 2012 Sync giving error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2012 Sync giving error

Hi, had no trouble installing and registering 2012 - already had subs with A.com and so closed open new a/c window. Then removed 2011 FTM. Seems a bit slow but that might be my net connection today but it starts to sync but then keep giving an error msg half way through "The last sync failed. An error occurred while "Downloading data from Ancestry". Please try again later". Anyone had this problem and fixed it. I will keep trying of course. regards

You say that you have a slow connection
    The problem could be that it is 'timing out' because of the delay

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Response Time, Repair

Hi tks, yes it probably was connection response but I did also do a repair from the install screen just in case and then kept trying after several more attempts and later that night I was able to sync both of the trees I have. So all is fine now, I do have another problem which I'll put in a new post. tks again

Comment

Hi, s'me again. I have two trees and still having problems sync'ing one of them. Did do a few changes on A.com and then sync'd my other tree with no problems. The tree I am having problems with I spent many hours on A.com with very many changes to be done between FTM and A.com and I think it may be this is the problem that I've done too many on A.com and it can't cope with downloading them. regards

Comment

I'm also having problems syncing my FTM 2012, slightly different message - The last lync failed. An error occurred while 'analyzing FTM changes'. Please try again later.
          A lot of people seem to be having problems syncing at the moment.

Comment

Hi, s'me again, I have got the 'last sync failed try again later' msg and I've done so and it's been ok especially if I try when perhaps the net in my area isn't so busy. However to go back to my very first post which started this here is the story from my last post and talking about the msg that says '....may have to upload a new tree'....
            After talking to FTM help desk they could not explain the reasons why the sync didn't occur except that perhaps because I'd put a couple of people into 'Private' and didn't need to. All they could say is to unlink the tree and upload it again. I made the corrections of those 'private' marked people.
            My first attempt was to unlink then rename the tree on A.com and then uploaded the tree again from my FTM. Remember that your FTM holds more information because some things are not uploaded into A.com tree. I found that after doing this I was not only getting all the hints I'd done before from other trees but I was also getting hints from my old tree that I'd renamed. This is a problem I think and have reported an improvement request to FTM. However I did delete the old tree on FTM. It worked fine for quite a while and then did the same error with the same tree so after a couple of days on the same msg "......may have to upload a new tree" and again talking to FTM help desk again with the same result I removed the tree from A.com and uploaded the tree again from my FTM.

I have been working fine now for a couple of weeks but two days ago another tree of mine has done the same thing not sync'ing and giving the msg that if the message returns I may have to unlink and upload the tree again. Note when I do a few changes now on the A.com tree I don't wait for too long before I sync it to my FTM and so this time I've not wasted hours on A.com's tree but this is becoming a major headache and worry and I'm now not recommending this software to friends. The uploading speed generally is much slower than the download speed and when there are many media items (those that can be imported into A.com tree) the process of uploading a whole tree is annoying.

It would be great if we knew why the trees weren't sync'ing rather than just giving an error msg. OK that's my beef over for now.
            Best of Luck and I'll keep persisting and trying to figure out what is causing the problem, hope you have a good day.
            regards John
            Last edited by Barbershopjohn; 23-11-11, 18:54. Reason: forgot something

Comment

I contacted the support team at Ancestry yesterday and to be honest I don't think they know whats happening.
              I was told to unlink and relink my tree.
              Unlinked and when I come to upload and link again, it just isn't working for me.
              I followed the instructions given to me by the adviser, but I'm leaving it for hours and it's just not working.
              My tree isn't any better now than FTM 2011.
              Contacted Ancestry support today, but they have the day off for thanksgiving.

Comment

The synch thing seems to work, but there seems to be (for me at least) a couple of problems, if using FTM to research cant save the media I find to tree on Ancestry have to right click, save to program then synch and that means it shows in ancestry as an image. Other odd thing is if researching other way round if save a marriage on Ancestry then synch it often puts in a second marriage to an unknown spouse (still not worked out how to get rid of that second marriage, without deleting person)

Comment

FTM 2012 Unlink or Detach and Attach, Person

Hi, as yet I can only do this in FTM not on A.com. When you find you have a person linked to the wrong family or spouse you can unlink(detach) that person and then relink them in this way.
                  Top menu bar Person, tab Person to select person from whom you want to detach a person. On the second menu line down from top between View and Tools click Person and the second option down on sub-menu is 'Attach/Detach Person'
                  That sub-menu then shows various relationships to attach or detach eg mother father spouse or 'selected person'

Hope this helps, regards John

Comment

Just to let you know that I contacted Support again last Friday and after following many instructions from them, which didn't work, they told me they couldn't do anything for me, as obviously there was something wrong with my FTM 2012 or my computer (I knew my computer was ok)
                    I contacted Ancestry Shop on Tuesday and was told that because Support confirmed the problem was with my FTM, they would send me a replacement FTM.
                    This arrived on Wednesday, I downloaded it and it's been working perfectly since.
                    Well done Ancestry Shop.

Comment

Working...
                    X