FTM 2011 and 2012 query please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2011 and 2012 query please?

I see that there are various threads on this subject but not quite what I wanted to ask i.e. 3 questions please.

1 - I am already using 2011 with 6 months free Premium but it runs out on 2nd Nov. The only way I could afford to renew is if I buy another 2011 FTM but would I be able to get another 6 months free premium with the same year FTM i.e. 2011.

2 - If I'm not allowed to benefit twice from the same year FTM (even though I would buy a new one), how long is it likely to be before the cheaper versions of the 2012 FTM is available?

3 - This question (actually 2 questions) is for a friend who has contacted me and asked me to try and find out.
    Has anyone used the 2012 yet and is it good? Also, does anyone know how much the full price is now for Basic, premium and world subs?

Sorry for all the questions but I didn't know who else to ask. Thank you for any replies.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Re FTM 2011 + 6 month free sub - you can buy more than one - I am currently on my second and very tempted to buy a third!

Re FTM 2012 + 6 month free sub - it´s being advertised on TWR Computing - platinum edition for release 14 October - price 45.80 pounds. You may find it is cheaper on somewhere like Amazon once it has been released.

Ancestry subs (annual payment)
    Essential 83.40 pounds
    Premium 107.40 pounds
    Worldwide 155.40 pounds

Can't help with FTM2012 as I haven't got it (yet!)
    I think Raven said she had ordered it so maybe she could give us some info.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you SO much Elaine I think I will use my Tesco vouchers and send for the 2011.
      One thing that always confuses me though is 'how do they know that you have bought a new one? Last time I rang up and told them I had one and asked him what to do and he just gave me the 6 months without question. Surely you have to register it first!!

Comment

I havent had a chance to play about with it much... Installation is easy. It prompts you to backup before you import from 2011 and has to change the file for 2012. You now havean icon pinned on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen so its always visible, no matter what you are doing. Start up is about the same length of time as 2011. Depending on the size of file am guessing. Have set up the sync with ancestry and it works on an automatic or manual basis...you can choose at the time of installation if you want to do it manually but there is the option in the menus to change it to automatic. It works fine... tried it with some new info I had found...
        Layout wise its the same as 2011. so nothing much different. Havent checked out the new features regarding chart and reports as yet... but will do so when i have more time.

that's about it for now

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          Thank you SO much Elaine I think I will use my Tesco vouchers and send for the 2011.
          One thing that always confuses me though is 'how do they know that you have bought a new one? Last time I rang up and told them I had one and asked him what to do and he just gave me the 6 months without question. Surely you have to register it first!!
          I wondered that too - I thought I would have to give a code or something but no - they didn't ask for anything and took my word for it - strange, I thought at the time.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

When I received my second FTM2011 disc I just did a new installation on the computer over the top of the old one and activated the subsctiption through the programme.
            I did have a slight problem with it because it only activated a 3 month sub when I knew it should have been a 6 month sub, but a quick phone call to Ancestry corrected that as I think they were aware that a duff batch had been released!
            Elaine

Comment

Thank you Raven, that was really helpful, I will tell my friend

They must be very trusting Herky. I hope people don't start to take advantage and lose it for us honest ones.

Thank you Elaine I will do the same this time then

Comment

Sorry to be a pain Raven (or anyone who has 2012 FTM) but I have just been speaking to the friend who was asking and he wonders if you, or anyone, can tell him if the 2012 will Sync both ways i.e. if you find something on Ancestry and add it to your tree on there, will it sync back to your FTM programme please? He knows that it will do it the other way - i.e. from FTM to Ancestry.

Comment

According to the blurb it works both ways Chrissie
                  TreeSync™

Now you can work on your family tree anywhere with the new TreeSync feature. When you link your desktop and online trees together, you can update either tree and then synchronize those changes into the other tree-manually or automatically. All you need is an Internet connection. Syncing your Family Tree Maker tree and online Ancestry tree has many benefits that no other software can offer:
                  Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, I will tell him

Comment

It does work both ways, Chrissie... I have just added information on a death in Ancestry and have sync'd manually with FTM 2012 and the info now contained on it is the same as ancestry.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Thanks very much Raven It's good to know these things work, even when they say they will my friend is sceptical until he knows that somebody has actually done it.

Comment

Working...
                        X