Printing from ftm 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing from ftm 2005

I need help with ftm 2005 if anyone can spare some time to help please.

I am trying to print a family tree, when printing off a tree from my previous family tree program I had an option to print it on one page, albeit the writing was small but readable.

Does anyone know if there is any such option with this program?

Thank you
    Ewen

Ewen, when you go to PRINT and select your printer, do you have a printer option which says something like "fit to page"
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Ewen, when you go to PRINT and select your printer, do you have a printer option which says something like "fit to page"
      When I click on print there is no option regarding printing, only 'print range' all or pages. If I then click print setup it says select margins/paper size/portrait or landscape.

On my other program it did say as you mention 'fit to page' etc, but I can see nothing about how I would like the tree printed in this program.

I'll keep pluggin away there must be some sort of option somewhere.

Thanks
      Ewen

Comment

I'll have a look for you tomorrow Ewen. The FTM2006 program is on my other computer and I'm nice and comfy in my armchair now! ;)
        Elaine

Comment

That would be great, thank you Elaine. I have been looking for where it may show options but still nothing, it is probably something simple. You enjoy your armchair and have a good evening anyway.

Comment

I cannot see any option within the program where you can reduce the size of printing to one sheet of A4.
            The only way you can do it, as far as I can see, is to experiment with the text size within each box, via FORMAT -> TEXT FONT STYLE & SIZE - and then reduce the font size. I find that font size 6 is probably the minimum you want to go to, unless you have very good eyesight!

The only other option is via your printer settings.
            When I select print, and then select which printer I want to use, I can reduce the size of printing via the printer options, e.g. fit to one page.
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thanks again for your help. ;D I looked at the font size the tree was in and it was already at 6, the boxes do appear quite big so I shall try and reduce them to see if that helps.

I have looked again at printer setting and from what I can make out there seems nothing to indicate preferences for fitting a tree to one page, in my last program I could right click off of the tree and it would give me different options eg 'fit to one page', 'it to current page selection', 'auto paginate'.

I think the next way forward is to find someone that is still using ftm 2005 and ask them the steps they take, and even if there is such a facility for printing on one page. If not it looks like I will have to revert back to my other family tree program, where I know it can be achieved.

Ewen

Comment

I think one of our members "Glen in Tinsel Knickers" (please don't ask how he got the name!) uses FTM2005 and he is very experienced with the program.
                I'll give him a nudge and ask him to look in to see if he can help.
                Elaine

Comment

Thank you that would be great if you could give 'Glen in Tinsel Knickers' a nudge, hopefully if they still use the same program they will be able to offer some help.

I am giving the program a rest for now until I can find out if it is possible to print on one page, it will be very useful if I can as there seems to be lots of options and variations of tree styles and I would like to continue using it. Otherwise, it is back to the familiar program I know.

Ewen

Comment

Hi

The only option i can think of is to click on the boxes and then drag them around the page then place them in the most suitable place.

I did manage to create a few direct ancestor charts from specific individuals which would fit on a single page (there is an option to add a background/watermark type feature from a preset list) but for anything beyond perhaps four generations the text and boxes become so small it becomes illegible.
                    I'm not able to use 2005 now as my new laptop uses Windows 7 and is a 64 bit machine, there isn't an update to allow me to use it on a 64 bit equiped machine so i'm going to have to change to another programme in the near future.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen, I will have a go at what you suggest about dragging the boxes around, thanks for you help with this, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X