Family Tree Maker 2006/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2006/2011

Apologies if I have posted this on the wrong forum.

At present I have FTM 2006 with the backup service and my subscription with Ancestry is due to expire next Tues on the 13th Sept and I have automatic renewal.

I have now purchased FTM 2011 with a 6 months free access to Ancestry,I want to be able to have both FTM2006 and FTM 2011 installed but don't want any information from FTM2006 transferred to FTM2011,it is a while since I have done any research and I want to start with FTM 2011 blank so that I can start entering information from the beginning as a way also of checking things and reaquainting myself with my info.

From a quick glance at the notes that came with FTM2011 it tells me to cancel my subscription with Ancestry for FTM 2006 when it expires then activate my new subscription from the help tab,does anyone know if I do this will I be still able to use FTM2006 and if I can will the back up service still work [I know it will only be on FTM 2006].Would I need to have 2 separate subscriptions for Ancestry to run both FTM2006 and FTM 2011.I hope you understand what I mean.

Hana

Hi Hana,
    I will move your thread over to our Family Tree Software forum .. and if you bear with me for a few minutes I will put an answer up for you!
    Elaine

Comment

First of all, not sure whether you realise but the backup service is only available on FTM 2006. When FTM 2008 and all subsequent versions were introduced the backup service was discontinued.

You can install FTM 2006 and FTM 2011 on the same computer. The programs will run alongside each other with no problem. When you install FTM 2011 it will offer you the option of importing any trees from previous versions should you wish - but you don't have to do this if you don't want to. When the time comes that you want to start afresh with FTM2011 you just create a new tree and enter the data manually. Obviously make sure you give the tree a different filename to your 2006 data file, so you can distinguish between the two.

Re your Ancestry subscription. You can do it in two ways. You can cancel the existing subscription, then install FTM 2011 and activate the new 6 month subscription - OR you can install FTM 2011 now and activate the subscription immediately. The 6 month free subscription will just be tagged on to your current one. As you are so close to the expiry of your current subscription it may be better to cancel it immediately - the reason I say that is that sometimes Ancestry start the process their end a little early and may try to take the money from your credit card a day or two before your sub is actually due.

When you install FTM 2011 make sure that you register it with the same details (email) as your Ancestry subscription. You need to register the program before activating the free sub.

You only need one subscription to the Ancestry website - it will work regardless of whether you are using it via FTM 2006 or FTM 2011.
      The payment you make to the backup service is different from the payment to Ancestry website. I don't know how much it is nowadays - used to be around £10 for the year and very good value it was - shame it doesn't work with the later versions of the program. If you are eventually going to be using FTM2011 then I would start looking at other backup options, e.g. back up to an external hard drive, memory stick, etc.

One thing I would suggest is that before you install the new version of the program you ensure that you have a full back up version of your FTM 2006 data ..... just in case!!

Hope that helps!
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine , you have answered all I needed to know.I will install FTM 2011 tomorrow when my son in law is here just in case I encounter any problems.

Hana

Comment

Working...
        X