More help with Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help with Legacy

Im so sorry to keep asking for help but!!!

I have just been sent an email containing a large part of my family, I have imported it into Legacy and there are some names that I already have in my tree but I wondered if there was a way of merging the trees but making sure I don't duplicate the people I already have?

I hope that makes sence!

Thanks

Hi Kelly
    I asked about merging on Legacy a while back. The advice was, do it very carefully if you have to do it at all, and make sure you have backups before you start!

I'll have a look round and see if the thread still exists.

Update - I can't find the one I mentioned above. There is a bit about merging on Legacy on this page in the Wiki
    Last edited by Just Gillian; 19-11-07, 16:30.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Kelly, it is possible to merge trees, but as Gillian says, go very carefully, as once merged, it is (almost) impossible to unscramble your lines. Begin by making back up copies of both trees you are attempting to merge, so you have something to fall back on, if things come unstuck.

Click on the 'help' button at the top of your Family View screen and select 'show help index'. Over on the left hand side of the screen that comes up, type 'merge' in the search window. A number of topics will be shown; click on 'display' at the bottom of the list to read these topics dealing with merging files. Browse through these topics to try to get a grasp of what is required.

It's a bit late for me to start working with you tonight, but I'll check in tomorrow to see what help you need.

Personally, unless it is a huge data base you are dealing with, I'd be inclined to enter the extras manually, as there is less room for error, but if you back up as suggested, and have plenty of patience dealing with the learning curve required, there is no reason why you cannot be successful.

Beverley

Comment

Split Screen View

Hi Kelly,

Before you decide whether or not to merge the files, you may want to view them side-by-side first.

This is very easy to do, assuming that you've already converted (if necessary) the new file into Legacy's .fdb format (e.g., Import From > GEDCOM File, Save Family File As...). Open your existing family file as usual, then select View from the top menu bar. Select the option Split Screen View, and you'll automatically see the same data duplicated side by side within the Legacy window (if you haven't done so already, this is a good time to maximize the window to fill the screen). At the same time, a pop-up will appear asking "Do you want to open a different Family File in the new window?". Click on Yes, and then select the new file and click Open.

You can then move between one window and the other and compare their contents using any of the standard views: e.g., Family, Pedigree, Index, etc... You can compare events, sources, notes, etc... for the same individuals and families, and determine if the new data adds to what you already have and if you think it is reliable.

If you want, you can then tag those individuals in the new file that you want to import into your existing tree and and export just their information. It may be easier to merge this pruned version rather than all of individuals in the new file.

I hope that's clear - good luck!

Tim
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Working...
        X