Family tree maker - opening files sent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree maker - opening files sent

Hi, I'm new to this site, and kind of new to family tree maker program.
    My Grandfather recently lent me his copy which is a bit old i have now learned. It is family tree maker 2000 version 8. My aunty has the same program and has been helping me do the family tree, And as such wanted to send what she has done, she has emailed it to me a few times, but for some reason no matter how she saves it and sends it. I am unable to open it. If i save it to my hard-drive i go to open it through the open family file section and it won't recognise it, and if i double click it to open it directly using family tree maker it says it is invalid. We have tried saving it as a gedcom but it still won't open does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    Aingel

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Not sure which version of the progam you are using. If I remember correctly Family Tree Maker went from version 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 11 and then I think there was a jump to version 16, then FTM 2005, FTM 2006, FTM 2008, FTM 2009 and finally FTM 2010. I cannot remember Family Tree Maker 2000.

If your aunt is saving it as a Family Tree Maker data file then it is best that you both have the same versions of Family Tree Maker for it to be fully interchangeable.

If your aunt is saving it as a GEDCOM file then you should be able to open it in any family tree software program.
    What is the exact name of the file you are trying to open - in particular what is the extension (the bit after the dot on the file name!)
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
      She has sent it as .gedcom, .ftmb, .ftm, .ftw and none of them seem to open. Am i maybe doing something wrong?
      We do have the same version of family tree maker, which is why i can't understand why it isn't working for us.

Comment

Well they all seem to have valid file names, although the gedcom is usually .GED (rather than .GEDCOM)
        Have you been able to use the Family Tree Maker program on your own computer, for example creating a new file of your own.
        I am wondering if there has been an error in the installation.
        Elaine

Comment

... and are you saving the file to your hard drive before trying to open it with FTM - rather than trying to open it from a CD or external drive?
          Elaine

Comment

Yeah i have been able to make it function properly and working well. Just can not seem to open her files that she sends me. The files i have open fine without needing the cd or external drive to make it run, She has been sending them in an email, But they won't open for me...

Comment

Am sending you a pm (personal message) - click on notifications at the top of the screen and it should appear.
              Elaine

Comment

Are you using the FTM import option to open these files?
                Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Working...
                X