Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftm 2005

Hi folks.
    I have had 2005 for some time and upgraded to 2009, well what can I say, I stuck with 2009 for about 4 months but now have just given up with it, to small for my laptop and not user friendly enough at all for me plus just hard work...very disapointed I am.

I have gone back now to my trusty old 2005 and its so nice and comfortable to use and everthing is straight forward once again...for me.

My first question is this...is 2006 still available and is it worth upgrading to it.

Now this is the importand one ...are there going to be any upgrades to the prievious wonderful FTM my old friend the 2005 as I dont wish to use the 2009 etc version again, in fact it is now off my computer.
    Any thoughts would be apreciated
    Tony

You can sometimes find copies of FTM 2006 on Amazon or ebay - also packaged under "Who do you Think You Are (2006).

Amazon link -
    GSP Who Do You Think You Are? Family Tree Maker Deluxe (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Be careful because the "Who Do you Think You Are" packages are also available for 2008 onwards.

There wont be any more upgrades for the 2005/2006 versions - the upgrade for them is the new 2008/2009/2010 version.

Not a lot of difference between 2005 and 2006 - if you are happy with 2005 and it does what you want then probably best to stick with it.
    I presume in time you will get to the stage where operating systems no longer support the older versions. I know that 2006 works on Vista and Windows 7, 2005 definitely works on Vista but I´ve no idea about Windows 7.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
      Thanks for the very valuable info once again, where would we be without you.

Looks like I will stick with 2005 and fingers crossed it will work okay with Windows 7, "does anyone know or can confirm by the way".

If it doesn't I will get 2006 from some where I am sure.

Where are you in Spain Elaine...often get down to family in Teulada-Moraira on the Costa Blanca...nearly tempted, love it there.

Tony

Comment

Just checked the Online help and it appears FTM2005 works with Windows 7 with the installation of the patch.
        Family Tree Maker 2005, 2006 & 16 Update for Windows Vista & Windows 7

We´re in Javea - a mile or two up the coast from Moraira! Moraira is lovely - one of the few councils who have spent money getting it right! A lot of money spent on improving the coastal area and providing open spaces, unlike a lot of other towns in the area.
        Elaine

Comment

As Elaine says, there is not much difference between the 2005 and 2006 versions, but if you did want 2006 it is still available through TWR Computing: Family Tree Maker 2006 Software Packs
          Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah and Elaine.
            Thanks for the info about locating the 2006 software at TWR...I might have upgraded if there were lots of goodies in the upgrade but reading the comments maybe its not worth while.
            Great that 2005 can work with Windows 7 by installing the patch, I wonder if 2005 on XP that I have at the moment would be affected by installing the patch for Windows 7..mmmm just a though..

Sorry folks if I just mention Moraira and Javea.....with Elaine
            Although we have family in Moraira, like 21 of the them all moved out from the UK, we have been really tempted to go ourselves but they always want us to go over and stay with them so I guess no point in buying.
            So you are just round the corner in Javea, we love it there, thats where we go along the front for our lunchtime meals and wow they are so nice, does "Champagne" ring any bells....love it there.
            I bet you know "Pepes" supermarket as well in Moraria and how about "Algaz" for coffee not forgetting the market as well.
            What I find about Moraira so nice is it is spotless, the paths and roads are cleaned everday, all household rubbish is collected every night, there are no yobs of any age, you never see anyone drunk, everyone is polite and tons of places to eat out along by the marina.....I could go on and on, the beach at Javea is wonderful and I look every day at the webcams for both Javea and Moraira....next big one will be the "The Three Kings" along the beach.... arrrrrrrrr, very tempting to go over again...and again as we do.
            Sorry other folks, like looking at holiday photos isn't it lol
            Tony

Comment

Yes, as far as the program itself goes I don't think there is much reason to upgrade from 2005 to 2006.
              But the 2006 version sold by TWR Computing does come with a 3-month Essentials subscription to ancestry.co.uk, which might be of interest - not a bad deal for £14.95 (the normal price for a 1-year Essentials subscription is £83.40).
              Last edited by Cloggie; 19-11-09, 10:31.
              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by tglyn View Post
                Great that 2005 can work with Windows 7 by installing the patch, I wonder if 2005 on XP that I have at the moment would be affected by installing the patch for Windows 7..mmmm just a though..
                Tony - no need to install the patch with XP - would possibly do more harm than good. It is needed on Vista and Windows 7 purely to enable FTM to produce pdf files. I can't remember back to FTM2005 but I don't think pdf files are an option on that version.

You are so right about Moraira - a lovely town. Champagne bar ... yes I know it well - probably not a lot of bars in Javea that I don't know! :emb:
                Algaz is a great bar as well - sitting looking out over the rocky beach - we usually pop in there for 'one or two' if we are driving back from Calpe.
                Elaine

Comment

you can export a family view on pdf with 2005.. :smilee:
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie - I couldn't remember when the pdf file option was introduced.
                    Elaine

Comment

Hi Dark and Elaine.
                      Yes I can confirm that the pdf can be exported as well.

Now my next question is does anyone know anything about "Charting Companion" for FTM2005.
                      Is is still available.
                      Where from.
                      Does anyone have it.
                      Any problems using it.
                      Thanks.

Elaine...we must have driven along the same road hundreds of times and stopped over at Algaz for one or two that much I bet our paths have crossed at some time.
                      One of the family villas is right on the headland top, looking out to the left is the beach and marina at Moraria and to the right are the hill shapes at Calpe...fantastic views and what about the sunsets....time to go out I feel
                      O'well,. back to the real world, the rain the wind and the cold.. arrrrrrrrr, but somehow its home and I like it although we have a mobile home up at the Lake District in Cumbria and its not the place to be at the moment.
                      Feel so really sorry for the folks up there, just imagine it was our homes.
                      Tony.

Comment

Hello each,
                        I have re-installed my FTM2005 and have lost the ability to use pdf... I have Vista... so the answer is in this thread... but from where do I get the patch.
                        I think I downloaded a patch when I first bought Vista but have had to reinstall everything

Comment

Now my next question is does anyone know anything about "Charting Companion" for FTM2005.
                          Is is still available.
                          Where from.
                          Does anyone have it.
                          Any problems using it.
                          Thanks.
                          Tony, I've got Charting Companion and have never been able to get my head round it - although I haven't tried too hard!!
                          I know one of the members on here who has got it and she loves it - I'm going to have to get her to give me a demonstration some time!

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                          Hello each,
                          I have re-installed my FTM2005 and have lost the ability to use pdf... I have Vista... so the answer is in this thread... but from where do I get the patch.
                          I think I downloaded a patch when I first bought Vista but have had to reinstall everything
                          Here's the link Colin,
                          Family Tree Maker 2005, 2006 & 16 Update for Windows Vista & Windows 7
                          Elaine

Comment

Hi Dark and Elaine.
                            Yes I can confirm that the pdf can be exported as well.

Is is still available.
                            Where from.
                            Does anyone have it.
                            Any problems using it.
                            Thanks.

Tony.
                            Hi Tony,
                            I have been using the Charting Companion and find it really useful for producing coloured charts for ancestors where I want to send it as an illustration to someone of how I might be connected to them or just for relatives to give them an overview. I also use the charts as a way of focusing my research as I can easily see where the gaps are in the lines.
                            Works OK with XP, never tried it with Vista but it doesn't work with Windows 7 which I have just installed on my new laptop.
                            I found it for sale on the Progeny website Progeny Genealogy ~ Family Tree Tools For Every Genealogist.
                            I am now looking to see if there's a fix for my old version.
                            Margaret

Comment

Elaine,

is the charting companion 'bog standard' with 2005 then? or is it a 2009 jobby?

I do have 2009 but tbh, havent really got me 'ed round it, I tend to use 2005 mainly. (though having said that I still have version 2/3 when it was under broderbund!!!) :Big Grin::emb::smilee:
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie, I think I got mine as a package with FTM 2005 - and Margaret uses it with FTM2006.
                                No idea if it works with the latest versions of FTM.

(I had FTM version 4 - and gave it away to someone last year who was still using Windows 95 and couldn't get FTM2006 to work on her computer!)
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  Elaine,

Julie, seems that it is!
                                  Progeny Genealogy ~ Family Tree Tools For Every Genealogist
                                  Elaine

Comment

No the version of charting comp, that came out with those doesn't work on vista , you have to buy a vista version , as I went mad with them and said why couldn't they just do a patch like they had with programs and got snotty e-mail back saying no and would I like to purchase a vista version ;;
                                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      Elaine,

I do have 2009 but tbh, havent really got me 'ed round it, I tend to use 2005 mainly. (though having said that I still have version 2/3 when it was under broderbund!!!) :Big Grin::emb::smilee:
                                      I got mine with the FTM2006 program and wouldn't be without it, so once I find out if I can get a patch to make it work with Windows7 then I'll be back up and running, but I may have to buy the latest version which says it's backwards compatible with older version of FTM programs.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Well Margaret I have just been having a play with my old version which wouldnt work before as I said above , but fingers X looks like it is for now for some reason , just going to go to print stage so will come back and let you know ;;
                                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                                        X