Family Tree Maker 2008 discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2008 discussion thread

For those that have taken the plunge and ordered FTM 2008, a thread for your thoughts - what is your initial impression?

Any problems we can help each other with?
    Elaine

Elaine, Ive put it on my puter, Ive imported my gedcom and Ive sat staring at it.

I cant see what improvements they have supposed to have made. Ive registered it (14 days free ancestry - have to make sure that gets added to my sub!) and they have asked for my old email for the ftm and now tell me I have to contact them as Ive more than one account - oh hum.

I was excited to check out the mapping of my ancestors but having sat for about half an hour changing things like Liverpool, Ohio to Liverpool, Lancs - Im a bit peeved with it all.

Comment

My copy arrived this morning and although I had "acquired" a copy of the US version I didnĀ“t do too much exploring with it.

My first comment is that I cannot find the photos which were in my old FTM scrapbook. Any idea where they are?

update SORTED - photos found!!!
      Stupidly opened it with a gedcom file, rather than previous FTW file!
      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 01-10-07, 16:27.
      Elaine

Comment

No problem with registration.
        Make sure you use the same email address as the previous version of FTM was registered under (you can check this by going to HELP and REGISTER on your previous version of FTM)
        Then says that the email provided is being used (obviously by me in the past!!!) and showed my Ancestry username and asked for my Ancestry password. Entered this and it has accepted it without any problem.
        Elaine

Comment

Cannot get into mapping section - keep getting an error message.
          Have put a query on FTM helpline!
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I did use my old email addy :(

Comment

I just rang ancestry (I thought it was a machine, the accent didnt sound real - southern states!) The lady didnt know why my account wasnt being recognised, suggested I rang technical this afternoon.

I went back and tried a search to see what happened and this time a message came up, enter your password - so I used the old one and yes, the census search information came up.

BUT oh Elaine, what a mess, I cant see the page properly, bits of info stuck at the side AND the map thing is ridiculous, not only have they picked up addresses - did you know there is a Deptford in Arizona - but they have picked up on occupations too for some reason and Ive got poor old Jonas Horstead, ag lab in a place called aglab China!!!

Comment

Glad you have sorted out the Ancestry password thingy!

First impressions - main page very cluttered - but I am beginning to like it!
                • Previously I always used the family page - you can still see this format in the middle bottom section.
                • I quite like the ancestor horizonatal tree in the top middle (although I never previously used this) - gives you a rough idea of where you are in the tree.
                • Index of individuals on the left - donĀ“t really use this a lot so have closed this section down (click on open close panel tab).
                • This then leaves you three sections on view
                • Ancestor horizontal tree at top with family view underneath, and the notes/facts section readily available at the right. Now this bit (facts/notes) I do like as it is something I use quite a bit. I am also in the habit of entering up the census information in the fact box, and I see I can customize what is shown so I can pre-determine that fact boxes for census info are shown automatically. To me this saves time having to click on add fact etc etc. - they are there ready for the info to be added.
                • Also you have easy access to the notes section for each individual and can edit it without too much trouble.

Now that is about as far as I have got. At the moment I am having trouble with the mapping facility and keep getting an error message. I am in discussion with Russ on the FTM Helpline forum about this! I think it might be something to do with the Firefox browser.

HavenĀ“t tried out the "source" section yet.

Instant dislikes -
                • No internet backup facility seems to be available. BAD MOVE.
                • No home page - Ancestry tree facility and Ancestry book doesnĀ“t appeal to me.
                • No data error reports available - something I donĀ“t use as often as I should, but I do think it needs to be there.
                • Limitation of the number of charts that can be produced.

However, I do know that update patches are being made available and hopefully in time some of these problems will be addressed.

So - first impression
                data handling / input of data - I like it
                what the program actually does with the data - needs improving
                Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 02-10-07, 12:43. Reason: typo
                Elaine

Comment

Sits back and thinks I will wait just got used to the 2006 and does what I like err well when it does it like back ups and internet tree ;;

Thanks for the info girls anyway ;;;
                  borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I had an email saying my version was being posted 1st class on Friday, and it still hasnt come. Hope it arrives soon. I am in the UK.
                    Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

If you ordered from TWR, then I probably had the same email - posted in the UK Friday - sent airmail - arrived in Spain on Monday!!
                      Elaine

Comment

It would seem that airmail is quicker, shame they dont airmail to London.!!
                        Last edited by textmum; 05-10-07, 23:00.
                        Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

Hmm, well personally, I wish I hadnt bothered - at the moment I cant see any advantages over the FTM2006v16 and just disadvantages. No internet back up, no home page facility, I find all the different sections on the page very distracting and confusing - I like opening FTM2006 and clearly seeing a family and the kids - on this one I feel there is no easily recognised pattern to the info.

Lets hope they do sort out the patches but I really cant see why they bothered to do this program at the mo.

Comment

Heather

Is it not possible to go back to the old one if you detest the new one so much?

Presumably you have a back up copy of your files in the old version?

Uninstall the new one and put the old one back on.

Unless you are determined to persevere with it :D:D

So glad I never bothered.

Comment

Margaret, Ive got them both running at the same time! I just imported a ged com into the 2008. I was worried when I read what Ron from genealogy printers said on here about it so I decided Id keep both on to see how it went.

I just assumed that after 2 years work they would come up with some sooper dooper improvements.

Im hoping that it will improve when they send these patches things but at the moment I can see no point to it and I wonder why they introduced it at all.

Comment

Im starting to like it too. Really like the front page where you have all the persons details, and the time line. Also like the fact that you can merge more than one person on the census images. Dont like the fact that you cant have a Ancestor tree in the "tree" format rather than pedigree, but you can have a decendent one. I have spent ages sorting out my "places" so that looks ok now, although i have no idea what you do with it after that!!

In the media section where all the photos and census images are, i cant figure out why there is 3 copies for each year?

I also had the Ancestry problem, but phoned them up and i had registered with an old username ages ago, but they just deleted it and it worked perfectly
                                Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Well I would love to try it, my package arrived today, but it was open and no cd in it! :(

Comment

Oh no, what someone had nicked it or it just fell out?

Re photos, I suppose we have to go through importing them from our puter one at a time again.

Comment

Heather - my photos are there - havenĀ“t had to import them again.

Did you use a gedcom file to start your FTM2008 - or a FTW file.
                                      If it was a gedcom file then it would not have included photos (which is what I did wrong first time around!)
                                      Elaine

Comment

Heather - I am fairly sure someone had nicked it, the envelope was a self seal padded type and it had a staple near the edge at each end and the envelope was ripped open between!
                                        Last edited by textmum; 05-10-07, 23:01.

Comment

Working...
                                        X