Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspapers FTM 2019 Help

Hello,
    Since newspapers are the ancestors to the current day social media (ie: Facebook, etc.),
    and I have several newspaper entries from the social page of the day, I am trying to decide where in FTM2019 under their name to enter these newspaper posts?
    Any suggestions from your experience?? Thank you and Happy Turkey Day!!🦃

Hello Ollipap

I have moved your query to our Family Tree Software forum, I'm not familiar with FTM 2019 yet I do have it but I'm still using 2017. Can you not add it to the 'person media' within FTM?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Darksecretz​..why did you take it upon yourself to move my post to tech? It is NOT a tech question at all. It is a query as to how others have used the same sources in their FTMs. So, please move it back!! I know exactly where and how to use Person Media and my query was searching for the level of use in the FTM2019 that would offer a variety of suggestions. Thank you for a less than stellar first venture experience into this forum.

Comment

All queries about how to use FTM are posted the Family Tree Software part of the forum. That is where it will stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ollipap View Post
          Darksecretz​..why did you take it upon yourself to move my post to tech? It is NOT a tech question at all. It is a query as to how others have used the same sources in their FTMs. So, please move it back!! I know exactly where and how to use Person Media and my query was searching for the level of use in the FTM2019 that would offer a variety of suggestions. Thank you for a less than stellar first venture experience into this forum.
          As Jill has said, FTM queries will be moved to the relevant forum, it certainly reads like a tech question. Maybe YOU need to rephrase the question in a slightly more friendlier way than the way you have addressed me.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I am on an old version of FTM so not sure if there are more options in 2019. I use Ancestry and that synchs to FTM.

In Ancestry I add the clip to the gallery, with date and publication. If the clip offers some fact I will add the fact and then use the clip as the source/citation. I assume that FTM you can do similar.

If it doesn't really offer a fact then it just stays in the gallery.

Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Although possibly a few months too late, I have just seen your question as was flicking through to look at any FTM questions and tips on the Forum. (I use FTM 2019)

Over the last year or so I am starting to realise the benefits of FTM and what it can do and amongst other things I have started re-visiting those brief entries made years ago and have started to try and improve the information under Notes for each Ancestor. (I have a long way to go.) I have tackled use of Newspaper information, I think, in two ways.

To improve my Notes for each Ancestor, I am now putting them in date order and also enlarging on them. So, for example, where for BMD’s and have looked at Newspapers for those days and found interesting events that happened at that time, then I would add this information to the Notes. I may also add ‘copy of newspaper in Media’ and then add the page or clip to the Media tab. If it was of a more important event, then I would consider adding it to ‘Historical Events’ so this would appear in a Timeline Report (remember for everyone).

On the other hand, if your Newspaper article directly related to the person, then I would be looking at adding a Fact. (Create a Fact Heading if not one there already that you could adapt or use.) Then on the right hand side would add a Source Citation so as time goes on, you and anyone would know where they could find the information later, perhaps even referring that a copy of the story has been added to Media. I would also be adding information to the story in Notes, again referring that the article is in Media.

I think that is the way I would go. Hope it helps.

​

Comment

Working...
              X