Handling adopted people with Family Tree Maker 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling adopted people with Family Tree Maker 2019

Using family tree maker 2019. Working with a client whos mother was adopted at birth in 1930. I have both her natural parents and adoptive parents info. Her name was changed post adoption. Would I ignore her birth name and enter her adoptive name. If I do that I would lose her branch of the tree. There is no interest in following the adoptive parents line going back. How and where is this all entered. First time for me with adoptions. I guess I've been lucky.

Thanks,

Brian

Interesting problem. I have FTM 2014 and thought there was a location to note adoption but when i checked those in my tree that I know are adopted I did not find the magic button.
    As for how to deal with it... then ask why she want the research done? To follow her lines back? Then can you enter both her names Mary aka June Smith Brown.
    In my tree I'm not interested in the adopted ins ancestry ... only their lines coming forward. My adopted ins are distant twigs who would attend a family reunion.
    Please note that my tree is for my consumption mostly and only has to follow my rules that have evolved over the decades.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I will check my 2019 version, I know ancestry has different types of parents.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have 2017 version! I can change parent to a variety of options using a drop down list.

I am guessing you add them as father first and then choose the type afterwards, then you just another parent, and choose a different drop down. No idea how it looks in a display.

I only use mine to synch from Ancestry so not really experienced in creating in FTM
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
        X