Printing on A3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing on A3

While I think that TFM is really great I do not understand why I can not print on A3 paper. My A3 printer is default and the standard property of that printer is A3 yet FTM will not print in A3 nor can it see A3 as a printable size in FTM print setup.
    It will print to the printer but only in A4 on A3 paper. Grateful if anyone has ideas on this. Perhaps outputing it to PDF and then try printing as PDF does recognise A3. This I shall try.

I thought about printing to PDF and then let PDF print control the paper size of A3. This I have tried and it works but you need to fiddle a lot with the settings in order to achieve any sort of satisfactory output. So PDF is the answer but I still say that it is very poor that FTM itself can not recognise A3 paper on an A3 printer.

Comment

I have never looked into printing and not got an A3 printer anyway, have you thought about talking to FTM or join the FB group, maybe there is a way to do it? I think they do some of the support via FB, they don't have a forum I don't think.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There is an FB support group, one for Windows and one for Mac versions but they have no normal type of support system - only what they call live chat.
        Here is the prominent post from the groups regarding live chat.

“Just a head's up, the only, the ONLY, THE ONLY, official support from MacKiev is the Live Chat on their website, using the web. There are a couple of lovely user groups, this one included, that have support from MacKiev.
        But be warned, there is a fraudulent company that is offering phone service for a fee. It is a large fee, nothing to sneeze at.

The only official support, right there. Livechat!!!
        By the way, they are the bomb. They don't charge, ever, ever, ever for their support.”

Comment

I have just looked at my version of software and there is a page set up on each of the report and A3 is an option - are you saying that you have tried this and it doesn't work? I can't test as don't have a printer at all atm.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. Carolyn: I am interested that your version of FTM has a page setup for A3. Mine does not FTM 2019. I think I have the latest version but will check but I have covered every inch of my version and no A3 setup.

Comment

it's on the page set up

page set up.JPG
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

I've got the older style FTM 2006. I went in to a tree and asked for a Standard Pedigree Chart. Then I pressed the Print symbol on the top menu. Then the Setup button and then the Size option and it opened up a huge choice of paper sizes including 2 different A3 varieties. I can't actually physically test it for you as my printer is an A4 machine.

Capture.JPG

Comment

That's the list I get when I clicked icon I am on vers 2017
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn. I am on Version 2019 so it is clear that A3 is not on version 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
                      Thanks Carolyn. I am on Version 2019 so it is clear that A3 is not on version 2019.
                      do you get the drop down list for page set up, or is page set up no longer an option?
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

The drop down menu for page set up is there with a whole host of formats to choose from but unfortunately A3 is not an option neither is custom setup which could allow you to create a format of your choosing.

Comment

that is a shame, got to be worth taking it up with them. I am sure there must be some people that will be missing it, especially as it was there before.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

I have to write to close this thread as we have success but it was a tad awkward. I contacted Livechat and spoke to George who was very helpful and he informed me that the function is there on version 2019. As my installation did not show it I decided to complete a re-installation but alas no progress until I did the following.
                            1. Removed all traces of FTM
                            2. Conect the A3 printer and set it up as default on A3.
                            3. Complete another fresh install of FTM.
                            4. Check for the printer and page set and SUCCESS.
                            5. It would seem that during installation the printer is detected and corresponding data files are included.
                            So thank you all for your ideas and thoughts; Carolyn and George on Live Chat in particular.

Comment

What a faff! Glad you got there in the long run.

Comment

glad to see that they were able to help.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                X