Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2017 question

Good morning/afternoon/evening:

I am using FTM2017 and I have a problem. I have tried all kinds of settings but nothing seems to solve my problem.

Desc. Chart.jpg
    The two brothers and sister in the bottom generation all have wives, husbands, and issue. Why are they not shown in my Desc. Chart? The following are my current settings for the Desc. Chart.

Settings.jpg
    Thanks in advance for all assistance.
    Anthony V.

Is this a different problem to the one you asked previously? Did you try Family Historian, as I suggested, to see if it would produce what you needed?

Anne

Comment

I have just looked at mine and it works for me, so I don't think it is a reporting problem, so can only assume it might be the relationship settings on the individual?

or maybe something weird to do with dates, as maybe they haven't planned to use BC dates. Does it work normally, just this tree that doesn't?
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-05-21, 18:48.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you both for your input; much appreciated.

(i) I already have Family Historian 6 which I originally purchased and d/l from the FH website. That was on my old laptop which died on me some time ago. I tried reinstalling it on my new laptop but it asked me for my Reg.Key. I have looked all over the place - more than once - but I cannot find the email that followed with the Reg.Key; no joy. I wrote to FM Support with my problem but was told (in my words) "too bad, buy an FH7". Almost $100 Canadian for a program I already have; the differences between FH6 and FH7 are purely cosmetic, I am told.. A nice little earner for FH but not my idea of a solution - I am old, 77, but not senile. FM further said that they cannot find my name, my purchase record (I gave them the exact date); or even my Mastercard number in their databases (whatever those are). So that is the end of that: finis finum.

(ii) I previously worked on the Renaissance family tree of Niccoló Machiavelli and the same thing (missing people) occurs in that tree also. I cannot try it on my FH because, as I said, I cannot get my FH6 to work without the Reg.Key.

(iii) So I shall continue with my entry-level Family Tree Maker 2017 and cut and paste (paper, that is) as best I can. Alas, that is the entire story to the present moment.

There must be some expert in FTM2017 out there which is the reason I am seeking help again with more information.
        Again, I thank one and all for any assistance.
        Regards, Anthony V.

Comment

You didn't say if it works with 'modern' trees? if it does then it must be something to do with the dates, worth posting on the FTN facebook page once you have established this.

Have you checked all the relationships are correct

Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hello cbcarolyn, thanks for your input.
            My Machiavelli tree is what I consider 'modern' in that all the dates are AD (Renaissance aprx. 1450-1650).
            If what you meant by your question, for example, my own family tree (1800-present) I must admit that I don't know as I never found any 'modern' tree (including mine) of any particular interest.
            As to the Renaissance, I have worked 10 generations of Borja y Doms (Borgia), Machiavelli, de Medici (some 15 generations), etc. For me HISTORY ended with the Renaissance. I even avoid the Baroque which immediately followed the Renaissance. Sorry.
            However, I have noticed the same behaviour (missing people in Desc.Chart) in these trees.
            As a side note I remark that I tried to tree the Hesiod Theogony but there are so many brother-sister 'marriages' that my FTM2017 went nuts and I gave it up. This is actually why I started on the Julian tree for something to do. At my age I try to keep my mind busy and historical family trees really make me concentrate.
            Regards. Anthony V.

Comment

I would make a tree with recent dates and recreate the scenario and see if it show you the right chart, that way it will prove that the software works, and that it is a problem with the tree and not the software in general.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                I would make a tree with recent dates and recreate the scenario and see if it show you the right chart, that way it will prove that the software works, and that it is a problem with the tree and not the software in general.
                OK, I'll try with my own. If I try hard enough I should probably be able to go as far back as my mother. Will let you know .... eventually.
                Thanks again.

Comment

How about making a tree just like the one you have for Julius Caesar but substitute the ancient dates for modern ones. That way you would see if it was the dates that cause the problem, in which case it might be beyond the FTM program to cope with. If the problem persisted even with modern dates, then it might be something else you would need to work on.

NB!!! Make a separate tree to experiment on to keep your main work safe!

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne. I think that is a very good idea because I am the last of the Vella line and besides my mother and my four fathers (Magdalen sick humour) I can't remember anyone's name let alone dates. I also thought of inventing a tree starting with me and making up names and dates as I went along. In either case, I will eventually post the result of my experiment and therefore shall not mark this thread as 'solved' or whatever they call it on this forum.
                    Once again, thank you for taking the time.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyvella View Post
                      Thanks Anne. I think that is a very good idea because I am the last of the Vella line and besides my mother and my four fathers (Magdalen sick humour) I can't remember anyone's name let alone dates. I also thought of inventing a tree starting with me and making up names and dates as I went along. In either case, I will eventually post the result of my experiment and therefore shall not mark this thread as 'solved' or whatever they call it on this forum.
                      Once again, thank you for taking the time.
                      you only have to do a tiny tree just see if the siblings additional partners show, it does on mine on that report, so I am unsure why it won't work. There must be a way to report problems other than facebook for FTM, but I have never looked.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Hello cbcarolyn, thanks again.

I have created a personal tree as you recommended starting with me and my wives (I am indeed a Renaissance man) and went back four gens. Now I shall try to explain the outcome without posting pictures (too large).

Above me there are naturally my mother and father each with some 15 - 20 individuals linked. Now, when I select my pat. grandfather as the central figure I get a DescTree which is absolutely complete except that my mother is shown simply as an individual married to my father. None of her 15 - 20 links is shown. When I select my Mat. Grandfather as the main character, my DescTree shows my mother's tree to perfection but my father appears simply as a individual married to my mother. None of his 15 - 20 links is shown. What I wish is for ALL characters in the 'Index' to be shown on the same DescTree.

This morning, a local chap who uses an older version of Family Tree Maker (ver. 5, I think) dropped me a line to tell me that what I want is impossible in FTM; his assurance is based on some years of trying to achieve exactly what I am seeking. So all this time I have been running around like a coyote chased by a ghost looking for something that is not there. His solution was to print-out two individual DescTrees and frame them separately. So now, if anyone can tell me how it's done on this forum, I should like to mark this thread as 'solved'; I have no idea how to. Any assistance appreciated in advance.

I have another question which I will (perhaps) post separately later on. Hoping I made the situation clear without pictures, I send my regards and thanks.

Anthony V.

Comment

Sorry not something I can help with, I just don't use my software for reporting these days. I think you do need to use FTM help and their facebook page, I don't think there are many users of the software on this forum.

The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.

The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                          X