Question on Gedcom download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Gedcom download

I would like to download what I have done so far back to my computer . . . but when I started to do that the other night . . . I got a banner that came up and gave me the idea that it would erase everything I have uploaded and worked on in my family tree on Ancestry.com.

Did I understand that correctly?

I want to leave it up there for others to cabbage information from it but I also want to put it on my own computer at home.

Just need the "truth" as to what I did or did not see.

Thanks, may God bless,
    Dwight

Exporting a GEDCOM from Ancestry will NOT remove your tree from Ancestry.

Comment

I have just checked and requested an export file and I didn't get a banner. you were definitely selecting the export file option?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I believe that is what I started to do cbcarolyn . . . maybe I pushed some wrong button or something.

What I would really love is a data base file . . . where I could sort and search . . . look at trends . . . but I'm supposing that is out of the question from what little research I could find on a gedcom file.

Thanks for your help, may God bless,
        Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by dwight55 View Post

What I would really love is a data base file . . . where I could sort and search . . . look at trends . . . but I'm supposing that is out of the question from what little research I could find on a gedcom file.
          Hmm. Not sure what kind of sorting and searching you're looking for. Family Historian will take any gedcom and allow you to create reports using various selection criteria. Pretty sure you can then down load that to a spreadsheet. And you can select the fields you want in the report.

Other FH users are on ftf, as well as there's an active FH user website. You can try it for free for 30 days, tho I don't know if there's reduced functionality in a trial version?

Comment

Actually, folks . . . I found what I was looking for . . . it won't do all I would like . . . but my first shot with it . . . it is good.

Less than $100 US . . . and it is called GedScape . . . comes from the UK.

It has a trial thing.

I'm happy with it . . . but then again . . . I'm easily amused.

May God bless,
            Dwight

Comment

Working...
            X