Advice for beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MG78 View Post
    I am still trying out free versions of various programs, none of which have wowed me yet. I am wondering how important it is to be able to sync between program and Ancestry (as opposed to manually making sure the two are in step)? If it is crucial, I think I am left with a choice of one: Family Tree Maker for Mac.
    I would say it isn't crucial, for me it is the ultimate laziness, I download Ancestry images when I find them on Ancestry and then a click of a button they are all linked in a tree on my PC. But you can download and save them to any software, and some even prefer this as they rename and keep in different folders etc etc.

I personally know that my research is for me and once I am no longer here no one else will be interested, I don't have any family that is particularly interested now either so have no need for fancy reports, I have just shared my tree on Ancestry with a few cousins (I have also added my own photos/records). So from that point of view I please myself, and am not working towards an end goal that would mean I must do it in a certain way for others.

It is important to me that I enjoy the research and don't look upon it being a bunch of admin and like being back at work.

Have you looked through the blogs/websites that some people have built? https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...e-writers-shed that might give you some inspiration on another way to share your tree with others.

Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks. I'll have a look at the blog you suggest.

Comment

There’s a new book literally just published about sharing your family history online. It’s written by Chris Paton and published by Pen and Sword.
        ISBN 1526780291

Comment

I've used Legacy almost from the time I began this hobby in the 1980s...the free version initially, but later subscribed to the deluxe version. It lets me keep all the records I need, and images. I know most people seem to use Family Tree Maker and recommend it, but I find Legacy does all I require and is easy to manage.

Beverley

Comment

I second all that Macbev has said, and recommend Legacy Family Tree....
            DGJay

Comment

Glad I found this thread, as I am trying to resurrect some older trial starts. As I understand it (and have used it), an Ancestry subscription is to find the data in a convenient way, while the FTM program is to organize and format it. Is that right?

Some time, over 12 years ago, I got a copy of FTM, which was on floppy discs. In 2009 I bought a copy of FTM2009 and did a fairly large amount of work, but mostly in entering data and creating printed trees. Now that I am retired, I want to restart this project. I was able to load FTM2009 on my newer computer (WIN10) and it appears to work OK. Looking on line for an upgraded version of FTM, there seem to be more than one version. Which is the one which is an upgrade of what I have, and can read the old FTM and FBK files? Even though my FTM2009 came with a free 3 mo subscription to Ancestry, I never used it because I already had the data in written form. Now, as I continue the project, I will probably subscribe to Ancestry after I have gotten all my bugs solved. Sorry for the long introduction. Also I'm getting one of my daughters involved in this and want to share data with her.

Anyway, after this long introduction, my main question is which version should I upgrade to - the one published by Avanquest?

Comment

All tree software should have option to produce a GEDCOM file this is a flat file that you can view in notepad/wordpad etc and will have everyone in the tree with standardised data. This file can be imported into any tree software on/off line/cloud etc. so you will not be limited to FTM, or in fact ancestry

I have an older version of FTM as I was too tight to upgrade to the latest version, but am guessing they only sell latest version?

tree software in general terms (with limited experience of a couple of programs) will let you report on the data in different ways, keep to do notes, show you errors, and a lot more sophisticated handystuff whereas the cloud subscription products just display the tree in a couple of different ways.

The records/documents & images kept on each persons record can be pretty much the same. and in fact I like to keep mine identical, so any customised fact is the named the same everywhere.

Examples of some standard reports where parent too young to be father, duplicate records, children without parents, unlinked records, I have 'compiled' reports on everyone that ended up with a residence in Australia, or died in Australia etc etc, so many parameters.

Your tree is just a database that can be reported on.

Not sure if this answers your question really!
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you to Macbev and DgJay for Legacy recommendation. Unfortunately that is a Windows package and I am on Mac. It can be run on Mac by using some kind of Windows wrapper but I am reluctant to go down that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                    This discussion got me thinking that I am not currently using my subscription much and I have access to Ancestry Worldwide through the library so I decided to cancel. I pay monthly so it was easy to do with immediate effect. This is the page which came up to let me know what I was losing

Strangely, I have just checked my Account page and it seemed to be saying that it would renew automatically in a couple of days and the option to cancel was there again so I have just gone through it again and definitely have an email now saying that my subscription is cancelled.

We shall see
                    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
                      Glad I found this thread, as I am trying to resurrect some older trial starts. As I understand it (and have used it), an Ancestry subscription is to find the data in a convenient way, while the FTM program is to organize and format it. Is that right?

Some time, over 12 years ago, I got a copy of FTM, which was on floppy discs. In 2009 I bought a copy of FTM2009 and did a fairly large amount of work, but mostly in entering data and creating printed trees. Now that I am retired, I want to restart this project. I was able to load FTM2009 on my newer computer (WIN10) and it appears to work OK. Looking on line for an upgraded version of FTM, there seem to be more than one version. Which is the one which is an upgrade of what I have, and can read the old FTM and FBK files? Even though my FTM2009 came with a free 3 mo subscription to Ancestry, I never used it because I already had the data in written form. Now, as I continue the project, I will probably subscribe to Ancestry after I have gotten all my bugs solved. Sorry for the long introduction. Also I'm getting one of my daughters involved in this and want to share data with her.

Anyway, after this long introduction, my main question is which version should I upgrade to - the one published by Avanquest?
                      Sorry for a repeat of my last post, but my question hasn't been answered. I just Googled Family Tree Maker and now, it appears that the latest version is FTM2019, published by MacKiev.

Comment

If you want FTM then I would assume you can only upgrade to the latest version? I would contact their support or join their Facebook group and see what they say. I think you just export GEDCOM and then import to new.

this was a 'lomg awaited' upgrade, I have the previous version and had only had it a few months when they announced a new version was coming out, and didn't feel I wanted to invest the money at the time as I had Ancestry sub and generally use that.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                        X