Family Historian V7 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian V7 released

FH 7 was released on Tuesday/Wednesday. I have upgraded and all seems well.

I downloaded the free 30 day trial first to make sure that my customised stuff still worked and it was fine so I've bitten the bullet and went for it.

It is just download at the minute, but I don't know if this will change further down the line.

Until now I had bought CD versions so will need to keep my login details/activation codes very safe!! Rather than mess around with CDs next time I need to reinstall, I treated myself to the full version.

Some things I use often are hidden away so my muscle memory will need upgrading but so far so good.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

That's interesting, Caroline. Which Go To bits have been hidden? The User Group forum is currently flooded with questions and minor problems, far too much for me to keep up with, so I decided to wait for the dust to settle before I get my upgrade. I am quite new to FH anyway (following your recommendation) and I'm quite happy with it but still learning. My muscle memory is still developing so I hope I don't have to re-learn to much when I change over to the new version.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
      That's interesting, Caroline. Which Go To bits have been hidden? The User Group forum is currently flooded with questions and minor problems, far too much for me to keep up with, so I decided to wait for the dust to settle before I get my upgrade. I am quite new to FH anyway (following your recommendation) and I'm quite happy with it but still learning. My muscle memory is still developing so I hope I don't have to re-learn to much when I change over to the new version.
      The main one is the custom queries list.
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Ah, I haven't delved into that area yet. Still learning the basics.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I like what I've seen on 'What's New in V7' but I think that I'll wait for a few days/weeks before I upgrade, let all the fuss die down and any 'bugs' get corrected!
          Margaret

Comment

I am looking forward to the text formatting facility because I make quite a lot of notes. They will make much more sense if they can be properly formatted. Most of the other stuff I may not use. I do not, for example, use the 'focus window' at all. This stems from having used FH For a long time before the focus window appeared. I just find it easier to work from a property box and diagrams.

Have decided to wait until after Christmas to let the dust settle a bit!
            Anne

Comment

Hi Caroline, can you clarify this for me? I'm not sure if I'm being dim but this is what is says on the FH download pages. Does this mean that you can't download it separately to just play with the trial project before you decide? I was hoping to get it as a stand alone package that won't change my current version at all.

Anyone can download and install the free 30-day trial of Family Historian 7 onto their computer. If in the past you purchased version 6, and you now install the 30-day trial of version 7, it will automatically upgrade you – but as a trial version, valid for only 30 days. You can of course buy a licence for this at any time if you wish. Alternatively, as a version 6 owner, you could buy an upgrade to version 7.

Comment

My understanding is, I bought version 6 last year with the promise of a free upgrade to version 7 when it was ready. Does the above mean that when I’m ready, what I will get is only a 30 day trial of version 7?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  Hi Caroline, can you clarify this for me? I'm not sure if I'm being dim but this is what is says on the FH download pages. Does this mean that you can't download it separately to just play with the trial project before you decide? I was hoping to get it as a stand alone package that won't change my current version at all.

Anyone can download and install the free 30-day trial of Family Historian 7 onto their computer. If in the past you purchased version 6, and you now install the 30-day trial of version 7, it will automatically upgrade you – but as a trial version, valid for only 30 days. You can of course buy a licence for this at any time if you wish. Alternatively, as a version 6 owner, you could buy an upgrade to version 7.
                  It does overwrite the software so I made sure I had the GEDCOMS and projects backed up all over the place and had the CDs handy in case I need to go back after I'd had a look. I preferred to upgrade if I could as then it saved messing about with reinstalling all my queries and flags/icons. I did think of looking at the trial on a different machine but I needed to know if my customisations would still work.
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    My understanding is, I bought version 6 last year with the promise of a free upgrade to version 7 when it was ready. Does the above mean that when I’m ready, what I will get is only a 30 day trial of version 7?
                    No, that will be different - the instructions are on the Shop page for the free upgrades.
                    Caroline

Comment

Wow, £42 for the upgrade!

That's a bit steep, think I'll miss this one out as I don't use a lot of the features in V6, and there isn't anything in V7 that I am desperate for!
                      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

No, that will be different - the instructions are on the Shop page for the free upgrades.
                        Thanks Caroline. I managed to get the upgrade via an email from S&N. Worryingly though, near the end of installation on the old Windows laptop, text flashed up ever so briefly on the top menu bar as the programme was opening which said something like limited version. It was do fast I didn’t see it all. I still have to upgrade my MacBookPro where I have Parallels to run Windows on it. I was determined to watch closely for the message that time. Sadly, it never happened as I got a flash message box saying my Parallels licence has run out and I need to upgrade. Consequently, Windows is stuck on pause and all I get now is a black screen. I bought a Parallels stand alone product not the yearly subscription version so this should not be happening. I don’t really want to upgrade to version 16 anyway. I’m still using Mojave so 15 is fine with me. Once I have reached my savings target and also the Macbooks with M1 chip are settled in and any issues fixed, then I will happily purchase version 16 or maybe it will be 17 by then as currently Parallels doesn’t work with the M1 chip. They are working on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X