Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family tree/genealogy software - do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post

Well, no time like the present and they have a 30 day free trial so I have downloaded it and made a start. It all seemed a bit mind boggling at first but I read some help pages and watched some video tutorials and so far I'm very happy. I haven't tried any complicated stuff yet but decided to start rebuilding my husband's tree from scratch so I can learn the correct way to add sources, citations etc. I really like the automatic citation option and the 'witnesses' feature - although it is beyond me why they couldn't think of a better name for that than 'witnesses'! 'Others involved' or 'Others present' would have done just as well.

Anyway, very happy so far so thanks to the previous commenters on this thread for planting the seed of an idea. I think FTM might be redundant soon on my computer
    You can add a new 'Role' to the standard list. Have you joined the FHUG? The links are from the 'Help' drop down menu, they're very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Margaret

Comment

I haven’t paid for it yet so I can read the forums but not post anything yet. There is certainly lots of good information on there.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

You don't need to have bought FH to join the FHUG forum. It is what it says ... a users' group, and not affiliated with FH commercially at all. I've seen lots of questions from people just like you who are working through some data with the trial version. I 'think' the only thing you can't do is us plug-ins on the trial version.
        Anne

Comment

Oh thanks, Anne, I must have misread something. Easily done when there is so much new information to take on board.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Was just going to post about not needing to purchase before you join FHUG but Anne has beaten me to it

Comment

Just wanted to report that 10 days later and I am very happy with Family Historian. I have spent a LONG time on it because it's been too hot to play outside and have got quite a few of the basics under my belt. Still lots to learn but as said above, the user group have been helpful when I get out of my depth.

Comment

Ive used FTM since 2007 (currently on FTM17) and really love it.
                I cannot understand the complains about it, as there are many easy to follow videos showing how to use it.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I liked FTM when I first got it but the deeper I went with trying to uses sources, maps, publish and the websearch tab, the more problems, glitches and difficulties I encountered. I ended up spending more time on the help pages and the Live Chat support than actually doing any research so I have given up with it.

I hope the same thing doesn’t happen with Family Historian which so far I am finding much better and easier to use.

Comment

Interesting to read what others use, and their thoughts and insights.
                    I used Reunion when it was available for PC's, then used the free version of Legacy for a while. Then I discovered Rootsmagic. Similar to Legacy, I found it great for generating reports and trees.
                    I used Tribalpages as an online place for my tree, but deleted it after a few years to concentrate on Rootsmagic. Have to admit to being a better researcher than recorder of information.

Comment

I also used Gramps because it has a feature for creating interactive maps highlighting memorable places (for example, former places of residence or educational institutions).

Comment

I've only used the Family Tree Builder so far. One of the most popular programs for compiling a family tree. It allows you to find new relatives using Smart Matches technology: their creators receive a notification when branches are crossed. Family Tree Builder also provides access to a map where you can mark the places where your ancestors come from. The project turns out to be colorful: studying the tree of life will be an exciting activity, even for small family members. Also, exposit.com promised to expand my knowledge in genealogy and share their experience and the software they used. So expect an updated comment from me soon.
                        Last edited by CanyDome; 26-12-22, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                          I had FTM 2005 which I found easy to use but it stopped working properly so I got FTM 2017 but don't really understand it so haven't looked at it for months. Thought I'd get Family Historian instead but don't really understand how it works either so have pretty much given up on both, I suppose I ought to persevere though I maintain my Ancestry tree and have a sub there & to Find My Past though began a FMP tree but find it too clunky to bother with.

Most of my research these days is on my local history project or will transcription and not on my own family tree except for the DNA stuff.
                          If you use FTM 2017 you can sync your Ancestry tree with each other, I have found that by far the easiest way of learning with FTM. It was a bit of a steep learning curve coming from 2005 to 2017 I will admit that I don't fully use it to its upmost but I use it to get me by. We did have some visual 'how tos' I think with 2017 in the reference library.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Darksecretz I have stuff on my offline tree that I don't want online so prefer to keep them separate.

Comment

Working...
                            X