Windows 10s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10s

After realising I can’t run FTM 2019 on my iPad I’m now looking at getting a budget laptop to run the program. The cheaper ones run Windows 10s ie with limited capability. Is anyone using the 10s to run a family tree program please?
    Jennie
    Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Sorted but cant delete post
    Jennie

Comment

Saw this on the Guardians website
      "How is it different from Windows 10 Home or Pro?
      The big difference between Windows 10 S and any other version of Windows 10 is that 10 S can only run applications downloaded from the Windows Store. Every other version of Windows 10 has the option to install applications from third-party sites and stores, as has the majority of versions of Windows before it.

Windows 10 S will also come with Microsoft’s BitLocker encryption system for securing your files in case of theft, which some versions of Windows 10 Home do not have available. It will also receive the same updates at the same time as other versions of Windows 10.

Which apps will run on Windows 10 S?
      Anything downloaded from the Microsoft Windows Store will run on Windows 10 S, which has thousands of applications available, including free, paid and trial versions of software. That will soon include the full Microsoft Office suite and Spotify, while Slack, Evernote, Netflix, Facebook, Adobe Photoshop Elements and many others are already available.

Which apps won’t Windows 10 S be able to run?
      Any apps that are not currently available in the Windows Store will not be able to be installed or run. That includes Apple’s iTunes, Google’s Chrome browser and the full versions of Adobe’s Acrobat, Photoshop and the rest of the Creative Suite – or anything else that’s installed via the traditional Windows 7 or earlier way."

So it is looking unlikely - I would email them and get it in writing before I committed to buying a laptop, there is no mention of 10s on their website at all.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Jennie H View Post
        Sorted but cant delete post
        what was the answer?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Yes it will do!
          Jennie

Comment

Yes it will do!
            How did you find out?

By the way you can't delete your own post and we don't remove posts in case they are useful to somebody else later on.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I contacted Mackiev online chat.
              Ok I’ll remember that. Thought afterwards it was a silly question as should’ve contacted them first. !!
              Jennie

Comment

It is worth knowing
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

I contacted Mackiev online chat.
                  Ok I’ll remember that. Thought afterwards it was a silly question as should’ve contacted them first. !!
                  No question is a silly question if somebody needs to ask it - and who knows who will find the answer here now you've asked it. Especially as we often get people joining who think we are the support website for FTM.
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Just a quick update. Contacted Mackiev who told me it would download on 10s. Have a screen shot of conversation.
                    I bought a laptop the other day running Windows 10s…and yes you’ve guessed it. It won’t run FTM.
                    I can take it out of s mode which as far as I can see won’t matter. It’ll just be slower to start up.
                    I think it’s a fairly straight forward operation.
                    Fingers crossed it works
                    Jennie

Comment

Just a quick update. Contacted Mackiev who told me it would download on 10s. Have a screen shot of conversation.
                      I bought a laptop the other day running Windows 10s…and yes you’ve guessed it. It won’t run FTM.
                      I can take it out of s mode which as far as I can see won’t matter. It’ll just be slower to start up.
                      Fingers crossed it works
                      oh wow that is mighty annoying.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Fingers crossed it works
                        Things like that are part of the reasons why I have dumped FTM. mackiev are not a good company to deal with. Hope you get it sorted out.

Comment

I would like to try something else but how on earth do I move 4000 people plus media?
                          Jennie

Comment

I haven’t started using it yet but I will be moving over to Family Historian. There’s a few devotees of it on here and there is a very good User Group. There’s a link on the company’s website or use the one in this post. You can join before you buy the software if you like http://www.fhug.org.uk/

Comment

I’ll have a look at that
                              Jennie

Comment

I would like to try something else but how on earth do I move 4000 people plus media?
                                If you have it on FTM now you can create a gedcom with media i think
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

There is gramps as well which is free... https://gramps-project.org/blog/
                                  https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Very much appreciated. I took the plunge and removed the S. I have now uploaded the FTM program. It gives be a bit of breathing space to decide the way forward
                                    Jennie

Comment

Thanks for sharing this information about Windows 10 S. It's always important to know the limitations and differences between different versions before purchasing. Windows 10 S has some unique features, like the ability to run only apps from the Microsoft Windows Store and the inclusion of Microsoft's BitLocker encryption system. However, it's worth noting that some popular apps like iTunes, Chrome, and Adobe's Creative Suite are not currently available in the Windows Store, so they won't be compatible with Windows 10 S. If those apps are essential for your needs, it's definitely a good idea to reach out to the laptop manufacturer and confirm whether their device supports Windows 10 S or if it offers other versions like Home or Pro. By the way, if you're looking for more discussions and insights related to Windows 10 and its different versions, you might find the windows 10 product key reddit sub quite helpful. It's a community where users share their experiences, tips, and recommendations regarding various aspects of Windows 10.
                                      Last edited by JulianneSwanson; 16-06-23, 03:45.

Comment

Working...
                                      X