Family tree program for iPad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree program for iPad.

I’ve always used FTM to build my tree for many years. Computer has finally gone to its maker and I’ve got an iPad. I’m looking for a program I can put on it that might even sync with Ancestry? Any ideas would be great. Thank you
    Jennie
    Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Does FTM not work with Apple devices? It is the only one that syncs with Ancestry as far as I know.
    Family Historian on my computer but it doesn't work on the iPad. Instead, on my iPad, I have a free version of Heredis. It provides me with a quick reference when I'm away from the computer but I don't use it as a program in itself.
    Anne

Comment

If you have the latest FTM, the app FTM Connect does work on an iPad but it’s read only I think, no editing facility. To get a similar experience that you were used to with your old computer you would need to buy a Mac computer or laptop running the full MacOS. The latest FTM can be installed on those. One licence is value for both types of machine Mac or Windows. You choose which to download at the time.

Comment

Do you particularly want something other than Ancestry? I use Ancestry on my ipad and it works fine, both the app and the web version.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

are you assuming that you will not subscribe to ancestry so you will want all your data stored elsewhere?

For synching apart from FTM the only other one I found was Rootsmagic and they do offer a cloud solution (not looked into how it works and how much free space you get), and it does synch, but very laborious. I kind of think its cloud solution starts from a computer but might be wrong.

I have no idea how you could manage any of the tree software via iPad as you can't download/upload in the way you can to a 'computer' (Windows or Mac).
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you for your help. It was as I suspected. I’ve tried a laptop and unfortunately even with changing everything I still struggled. The iPad is ideal for me.
            I’ll just have to keep subscribing to Ancestry ?
            Jennie
            Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

Working...
            X