Computer help, please .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help, please .........

Bringing a computer back to 2020 from 2002.

I'm hanging on to my old desktop (ca 2003) with its Windows 7 for as long as I can. It has been working just fine.

However, we have been away for about 3 weeks, and I discovered when I turned it on yesterday that it had reverted back to 2002, and would not let me access any search engine or site that had been developed since then. No Google. No Mozilla. No FTF

I did find last night that I could go into Control Panel and change the date to January 2 2020, and correct the time from 12:00 am.

But that has turned out to be only temporary .............. I had to do it all over again this morning.

Does anyone know if I can permanently bring it back to 2020??
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

OOOO dear.... I am also hanging on to Windows 7 as long as possible and then pulling the plug on the internet and using a new computer for internet access and old computer with old programs for non internet stuff.
    My computer has not done the 2002 trick yet. Have you taken it in to a computer store to have it checked for viruses?
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I have moved this to computer help for you Sylvia as the experts are more likely to see it here.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Not yet, Donelda. We only got back to Vancouver at 4:50 am yesterday .......... the train was 4 hours early, if you can believe it.

We're still a bit shell-shocked :D

Our independent guru seems to have disappeared, so I was trying to see if anyone knew how to fix it myself.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thank you, Chrissie.

I wasn't sure where to post it.

Comment

so long ago to remember how it worked, but was there a couple of options on whether or not to synch the time to the internet. Seems a bit odd...and maybe it really is time to get a new one, must have got value for money from your 2003 one

My PC started playing up a few years back, so bought a new and took my time moving stuff across, and i hadn't quite finished when it all crashed! But I am now a bit of an expert at getting out the hard drive and then just running it from a 'player' so nothing was lost
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

ha, you have a y2k2 bug ?

Comment

Sylvia,
                have a read of the stuff in the link, much in there that may pertain to your problem with your computer.

These days I seem to have plenty of time of my hands, especially as it is 42C outside but with aircon on perfect inside. Cheers.

Is your computer clock behind? Try fixing it by synchronizing your PC's clock, and scanning for malware. Updating your BIOS can also help.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks, David!

I'll give it a try.

Comment

My son says you need a new BIOS battery for the motherboard. This maintains clock when computer has no power. It is a CR2032 button cell.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you, Wendy ........ and thank your son also

That article link posted by David also mentioned a new BIOS battery, but I have no idea how to do that, and OH is about as computer illiterate as I am. How I wish our "go go geek" guru had not moved to Calgary!

Comment

You could take the back off and see if you can see a battery, there are loads of youtube videos on it. a CR2032 is available everywhere.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

a lot of videos on here how to change it

Comment

Working...
                          X