Can I sync this desktop to another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I sync this desktop to another?

I have my new wireless desktop in here with the router, what I wondered was can I connect to the Desktop in the garage which does not have wireless, in any way ,or do I have to get another router for out there, I dont want to put this router in the garage.
    Thanks

Cheapest way is to get a USB WiFi adapter for the desktop in the garage, you should be able to get something for £10-15. Your router should reach your garage, unless there are exceptionally thick walls or you have a very long garden and the garage is at the bottom!
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks very much Pete the garage is quite a way from this room , shall try that thanks

Comment

You can buy wifi extenders which will take the signal around your electrical circuit. I use these as my router in downstairs to where I generally connect to the network.

Have a look here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P7XV0...s_ad_dp_asin_3 for the kit you need. All you do is plug one in near the router and attach it with an ethernet cable to the router then plug the other one in on the same circuit near your Desktop and either connect that with an ethernet cable to the plug or using a wifie adaptor connect it to the network - this will have it's own name different to your main network and the instructions will be with the plugs.

Margaret

Comment

thanks Margaret, I'm not really sure what I need, some seem to say you have to have 64 MG memory, think it only has 32?

Comment

I've been away and only just seen your last message Val.

I think you may be mixing some numbers up here. The minimum memory for Windows 10 is 1Gb (32 bit) or 2Gb (64 bit). It has been several years since a PC would work with as little as 32 or 64 Mb memory.

I think the information you are seeing is for the processor (32 or 64 bit) and the operating system. You can run 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit processor, but not the other way round. Same goes for some hardware and drivers, so I think you are looking at the 32/64 bit figures.

Some products have a specific version for the two systems, others work on either.

The network extenders that use the house wiring have nothing to do with your operating system or memory. You get a pair of adapters, one plugs into a spare 13A socket near your router and connects to a spare output on it, and the other plugs into a spare 13A socket in the garage and connects to the network cable socket on the PC.

This is an example of a mains based extender http://www.ebuyer.com/780283-tp-link...a4010kit-v1-20
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks Pete I was trying to work out what I could use, those holes at the bottom are they for a phone line? and if so do I have to have one in the garage ? as I think that BT disconnected it.

Comment

Those holes at the bottom are for a network cable; it looks a bit like a phone connector but it is different. On the back of your router as well as the phone cable there are usually 4 sockets that all look the same; these are network sockets and you would connect one of the adapters to one of these. There should be a similar looking socket on your PC in the garage where you would connect the second adapter.

I think it comes with network cables, but if it doesn't they are really cheap; you would need CAT5 RJ45 patch cables of a suitable length (0.5m should do for the router end, and maybe 1 or 2m at the PC end).
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

ah that makes sense thanks Pete off to order one

Comment

received today will try it later and let you know how I get on.

Comment

bad news ,on reading the instructions, it says both must be on the same electrical circuit, which makes sense, but husband informs me the garage isn't.
                      Is there anything else I can do?
                      I wondered if I tried putting another router out there or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        bad news ,on reading the instructions, it says both must be on the same electrical circuit, which makes sense, but husband informs me the garage isn't.
                        Is there anything else I can do?
                        I wondered if I tried putting another router out there or something.
                        Val - have you got more than one main electrical circuit (box) in the house? It doen't matter if one part of the circuit feeds the garage and another feeds electrical plugs in your office (or wherever) as long as it comes off the one main circuit box.

We use wifi extenders and I can move them around the house and plug in anywhere I like, even though the electrical sockets are not all on the same wiring route.
                        Elaine

Comment

That is worded very badly. Being on the same circuit implies it must be two sockets that are on the same ring main protected by the same fuse in the fusebox (e.g. both upstairs or both downstairs), which is how you have interpreted it.

However that is not the case. Mains electricity is generated as a three phase supply, but houses are usually only supplied from a single phase; all the houses in a street would be shared equally between the three phases. This means that a house on the red phase is on a different circuit to one on the blue or yellow phases. Unless your garage has it's own incoming supply and meter, it will be on the same phase even though it may be on a different fuse in your fusebox.

You should be able to use the extender without any problems.
                          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Pete we only have a fuse box in the Bungalow not in the garage, so it should work then, shall try it tomorrow, so glad I asked I was going to ask if they would take it back.

Comment

meant to say it does work am thrilled thanks

Comment

is there a reason why the desktop in the garage is so so slow loading pages and, doing any action.

Comment

I don't find any real difference in speed when using the wifi extenders around the house.
                                  Is the computer doing other actions in the background, e.g. updates if you have not used it recently.
                                  Elaine

Comment

hi Elaine and thanks for answering , I did find it was doing a scan with mcafee, which took hours so as I'm not happy with that anyway, will change to another.

Comment

Working...
                                    X