Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need all these Microsoft programmes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need all these Microsoft programmes?

Hi
    Just been going through the programmes on my laptop & am puzzled by all these Microsoft Visual ones & wonder if it is safe to delete some of them. This is what I have...

Microsoft Visual C + + 2005 Redistributable.
    Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable.
    -x64 9.0 3072. I have 2 of this one
    Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable.
    -x86 9.0 3072 I have 3 of this one.
    Microsoft Visual C + + 2010 x64 Redistributable.
    Microsoft Visual C + + 2010 x 86 Redistributable.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Moggie

read this Moggie

especially this bit

Can I Uninstall Some of Them?
    The short answer is: yes, but you probably shouldn’t.

You never really know which of your installed applications rely on each redistributable. If you uninstall a program, that program will not automatically remove the redistributable upon which it relied, since it has no way of knowing if other applications also rely upon it. Sure, there may be some redistributable packages on there that you don’t need–but if you manually remove a redistributable package that some programs are still using, you could cause them to not run correctly and, in some cases, even cause problems in your Windows installation itself.
    Last edited by Guest; 20-01-17, 18:29.

Comment

Thanks for that Val.
      I never thought to Google it.
      Looks as if I should leave then all as they are. I've had enough problems with my laptop recently so I don't want to create any more.
      Moggie

Comment

I dont know if you have used Microsoft fixit center you install it then you can run some or all of the diagnostics it also fixes them for you, I found it brilliant.

(link removed)
        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 21-01-17, 18:53. Reason: link removed at poster's request

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          I dont know if you have used Microsoft fixit center you install it then you can run some or all of the diagnostics it also fixes them for you, I found it brilliant.
          (link removed)
          Hi Val
          I had a look & downloaded it but evidently it doesn't work for windows 8.
          Thanks for trying.
          Moggie

Comment

What sort of problems are you having

Comment

what about this
              Like any new OS, Windows 8 and 8.1 have suffered from a variety of bugs that can confuse unsuspecting users. Here's how to solve the most common problems.

Comment

Hi Val
                My main problem is staying connected to the internet. It just goes off & on & is so frustrating. I thought it might be a problem with the router but my granddaughter & my friend can access it via their phones while my connection is still off.
                So I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with my laptop. Any ideas?
                Moggie

Comment

Is it possible to have the laptop and router close enough to connect them with an ethernet cable? I had problems with my desktop dropping the Wifi even though the router is right next to it. I got an ethernet cable and its been super speedy with no problems since connecting.
                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Is it possible to have the laptop and router close enough to connect them with an ethernet cable? I had problems with my desktop dropping the Wifi even though the router is right next to it. I got an ethernet cable and its been super speedy with no problems since connecting.
                    Anne
                    Hi Ann
                    No, the router is about 10 feet away from my armchair. I do have an ethernet cable but I use that for my Now TV box & I don't have any connection issues with this. This problem started about 3 months ago, before that it was fine.
                    Moggie

Comment

I agree and would try it with the ethernet cable ,I reconnected mine when I had internet troubles.

Comment

The most common cause of wi-fi drop-outs is interference from other electrical equipment.

The worst offenders are flourescent lights (including 'stick' type low energy light bulbs). TVs, radios, mobile phones and even equipment used by your neighbours can all have an effect. Only way to find out is start switching things off and see if there is any improvement.
                        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Pete I see you are in Lincs are you anywhere near Holbeach? could do with some advice about the telly going off when its foggy, drives me nuts we do have a booster on the aerial.

Comment

You're at the southern extremity of the county, and I'm at the northern end, about 70 miles away!

I'm afraid there isn't going to be much you can do, other than spend a huge amount on a massive aerial. Unfortunately you are on the edge of the range of three primary transmitters; Belmont on the Lincolnshire Wolds (BBC Yorkshire and Lincolnshire), Waltham near Grantham (BBC East Midlands) and Sandy Heath near Bedford (BBC East).

Although there are a few repeaters (Kings Lynn, Lincoln and Stamford), they are much lower power and probably out of range for you. My mum has the same problem in Northamptonshire, on the boundary of three transmitters.

Your best bet is going to be FreeSat (or Sky if you want subscription channels). A FreeSat box is around £100, and another £100 to get a dish installed. This is about the same as you would need to pay for an aerial to get anything close to decent reception, and there is no guarantee it would actually work. At least with satellite you are almost guaranteed a good signal, except in very heavy rain (think summer thunderstorm) or heavy snow.
                            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                              The most common cause of wi-fi drop-outs is interference from other electrical equipment.

The worst offenders are flourescent lights (including 'stick' type low energy light bulbs). TVs, radios, mobile phones and even equipment used by your neighbours can all have an effect. Only way to find out is start switching things off and see if there is any improvement.
                              Thanks for that advice Pete.
                              Unfortunately my router is next to my TV as I run the ethernet cable from it to my Now TV box. I have turned TV & Now box off & will leave them off until this evening & see if this makes an improvement. I have a bad habit of putting the TV on when I get up & then leaving it on all day even when I am not watching it & busy doing other things.
                              Moggie
                              Last edited by maudarby; 21-01-17, 09:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                (link removed at poster's request)
                                But Val, that isn't from Microsoft so you could be downloading something that has a Trojan/Virus anything... don't do it!..
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Pete I did ring the television aerial people and they have told me more or less the same.
                                  Mine is from Microsoft Julie and I have been running it for quite a while now, its sorted out loads of problems, maybe I should have given a different link but its definitely okay

Comment

Hi
                                    I think you may be right Pete about the interference from other electrical equipment. I didn't lose my connection at all when I had the TV switched off but it did go off later in the evening (with TV on). I might have to think about moving the router somewhere else. It would mean not being able to use the Now box but I can always catch up with programmes on my laptop.
                                    Many thanks
                                    Moggie

Comment

How about these? Lengths up to 40 metres.

Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
                                      X