Newbie here with iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here with iMac

Hello, this is Dave, a new member and I have had an iMac for 1 1/2 years. I have used Family Tree Maker for the Mac. I converted my family tree from PC almost as soon after I bought my iMac. My iMac shut down and I lost all data including my Family Tree Maker files. Luckily, I was eventually able to download the synced version from Ancestry. I am curious about what problems, if any, the members of this forum have had using the Apple/Mac computers. I have so many other questions regarding Ancestry's announcement of abandoning Family Tree Maker. But first things first. Thanks so much for allowing me to access this site.

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...-to-be-retired Hi Dave welcome to the Forum

The above link will take you to the discussion thread where the Family Tree Maker has been aired
    Sorry I can't help with Mac but I am sure someone here will help when they see your request

Edna

Comment

Hi Dave, Welcome to FTF.
      I have no problems with Ftm for mac have used v 1 2 & 3 on my imac or macbook pro.
      Do u back up using time machine to an external disk?
      Sue ;)

Comment

Hi, Dave -
        I use Family Historian within a VMWare Fusion emulation of a PC environment on my Mac. Works great.

Welcome to FTF!
        sarah

Comment

Thanks to Sarah, Sue and Edna
          Yes, I back up with Time Machine. I purchased that after my first disaster of the iMac freezing up which I attribute to Family Tree Maker not being compatible with the Yosemite upgrade. All those problems eventually went away. FTM released upgraded versions compatible with iMac and things have been very smooth ever since Feb 2015.

With regard to emulation software (Sarah mentioned VMWare Fusion emulation of a PC environment on my Mac), I appreciate knowing about this.
          Currently, I have downloaded and archived my three family trees as GEDCOM files and will eventually chose a new FTM like genealogy software. But I am going to wait as the dust settles from Ancestry's announcement to abandon FTM. I am not a very active genealogist, although my major family tree has 911 names. In about six months, I will start evaluating and listening to the experience of other genealogist. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStover View Post
            With regard to emulation software (Sarah mentioned VMWare Fusion emulation of a PC environment on my Mac), I appreciate knowing about this.
            Currently, I have downloaded and archived my three family trees as GEDCOM files and will eventually chose a new FTM like genealogy software. ...In about six months, I will start evaluating and listening to the experience of other genealogist. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
            Mentioned in the thread that Edna linked to: Family Historian is offering a discount to FTM users. You might want to check to see if there's a time limit.

Following up on emulation software: remember that you not only need to purchase the emulation software (not too bad) but you must also purchase the operating system (OW!). I think Parallels is another PC-emulator for the Mac - I haven't used it. VMware allows you to emulate several different operating systems.

Comment

Working...
            X