Computer tower disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer tower disposal

Has anyone got advice on how to safely dispose of my old computer tower?
    Isn't there somethinginit that holds all your private information ie bank details etc?

Thanks for any advice given

Punchs Mum

Safest thing is to remove the drive. The tower itself should be disposed of at your local civic amenity if they have that facility.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

How do I remove the drive then?
      I have seen computer towers at our local tip. I knew there was something that needed removing first though.

Comment

Wendy is correct, that is the safest method to separate the data from the tower. However, you will still have the problem of disposing of the hard drive - sledge hammer springs to mind - however,if the drive itself is still in working order you can reuse it either internal in a new computer, or external in a USB connected enclosure.

Another solution if you are not happy dismantling the tower, and if it still works, is (free) software which will erase your hard drives - Dank's Duke & Nuke http://www.dban.org/ - it will need to be written to a bootable CD so the CD drive also has to work.

David

Added in Edit. Just seen your last post when I posted this. There should be a panel on the tower which can be removed and the drive is usually bolted into a contaioner tray. As you are disposing you can simply cur all the connecting wires before taking out the drive. You can find numerous videos on YouTube which show how to do it. Try searching on your tower's name.
        Last edited by DavidNewton; 25-10-15, 12:25.

Comment

Thanks for your very useful replies David and Wendy!!

Like the sledge hammer idea David! Lol. Sound like the option to take!

Lesley.

Comment

Working...
          X