Media importing work flow process questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media importing work flow process questions

I need to wipe my HD due to viruses. I am using windows 7 and FTM 14. My workflow for importing photographs into FTM is to first create a folder on my desktop titled "pic's". I then export the photo's out of Lightroom to the pic folder. In FTM I import those pic's into the Media directory, folder, file or whatever it's called. From there I associate the individual photo's with the people. My question is, are the photo's in the media folder within FTM "links" to the photo's in Lightroom? or are they copies of the images that are actually within FTM? I have all the Lightroom pictures saved to EHD as well as all my FTM files. When I wipe the HD, install FTM and restore the files from the EHD will the pictures still be in their proper places or have I severed the link and have to re-import all the photo's from Lightroom to FTM. Maybe I've made this too complicated but I don't wish to have to re-import 300 pictures, unless I have to.

thanks,

brian

Associated with each tree <treename> that you have there is a media folder in the Family Tree Maker directory entitled <treename> Media. If you open that folder it's contents will be either your media (if you copied) or empty (if you linked). Before you wipe your HD you should make a backup copy, to an external drive, from within FTM. (Each tree if you have more than one) One of the options with the backup is to include all media files. When you reinstall FTM you should restore the backup.

At this point let me confess I am not currently using FTM so I do not know if the media files are copied in the backup if you have linked to them rather than copied. However, the media links will still be in your file and upon re-installation you may need to get FTM to find the missing media. It should not be necessary to re-import.

David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNewton View Post
      Associated with each tree <treename> that you have there is a media folder in the Family Tree Maker directory entitled <treename> Media. If you open that folder it's contents will be either your media (if you copied) or empty (if you linked). Before you wipe your HD you should make a backup copy, to an external drive, from within FTM. (Each tree if you have more than one) One of the options with the backup is to include all media files. When you reinstall FTM you should restore the backup.

At this point let me confess I am not currently using FTM so I do not know if the media files are copied in the backup if you have linked to them rather than copied. However, the media links will still be in your file and upon re-installation you may need to get FTM to find the missing media. It should not be necessary to re-import.

David
      Thanks David. The pictures are in the media folder for each tree (4) so I believe they'll be ok. I've got 3 backups for each family. I think I need to do a new install of Feb on a different computer and restore the family files to see if everything makes it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X