Conundrum – of scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conundrum – of scam

I have had a problem Scam – but wonder if anyone can help link these together. I will use the name ‘A’ & ‘B’.
    In early August I received an email from ‘A’ who is in my address book and I have not been in touch with ‘A’ for many years if at all by email. It was addressed correctly to me but ‘A’ email address just looked odd and said sent from my i-phone.
    Two weeks ago I received an email from ‘B’ who I am in touch with about once a year. Again it was addressed correctly to me but ‘B’ email just looked odd with a BT address but ending (jp) and said sent from my i-phone.
    I created a new individual message to these people and asked them if they had contacted me. ‘A’ said that my email address was not in her address book and that she did not have any form of telephone.
    ‘B’ said that it was over a year ago that she last contacted me but she did have an i-phone.
    Neither of these went into my Spam box as the address was correct. Unfortunately all messages open on my tablet with no choice of preview so I was able to see the content both started with http/ but were different. I did not click on them but they both ended with the name of the sender and that was supposed to be ‘ME’ but with ‘A’ or ‘B’ correct email address under where the signature would go.
    ‘A’ & ‘B’ do not know each other. Is it possible that someone can access my contacts address book? The emails were deleted for ever straight away.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

If it was me, I would have just deleted them if they looked strange and not given them another thought. If it had been the real people they would have contacted you again. If you are worried you could change your passwords but for just a couple of messages I personally wouldn't bother. I sometimes get random strange messages from people I have contacted in the past but, like you, you know they are not for real.
    Anne

Comment

One filter worth using (if it is not the one you are already using) is to move to junk all emails from senders who are not in your address book. If the email address from the sender purporting to be A was not exactly correct then that would have ended in Junk and the other one with the jp ending (Japan perhaps) would certainly have ended in Junk.

The fact that all messages open without preview seems to me to be a security risk. Is your email app using IMAP or POP3? If it is IMAP then there should be a setting to download headers only and there may well be a similar setting for POP3.

David

Comment

Working...
      X