Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of issues

Hi

Can anyone help me please? Yesterday I downloaded what I thought was Google Chrome as recommended by Ancestry (I was using Internet Explorer) as it was said Ancestry was not working well with IE I was at that time having issues with searching for pages on the census which were not showing when selected. I think that maybe the Google Chrome I downloaded was perhaps not right and have since uninstalled it but I am now being inundated with ads everytime I open a new screen and have no idea of how to remove them, any suggestions please?

My second issue is I would like to download either Google Chrome or Firefox as an alternative browser but (a) don't know which is best and (b) where can I download them and get a safe download.

Any thoughts help, suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Gill

Can't offer any help with the first part of your query - but for the downloads use the official sites:

Chrome
    Chrome is the official web browser from Google, built to be fast, secure, and customizable. Download now and make it yours.

Firefox
    Faster page loading, less memory usage and packed with features, the new Firefox is here.

I have both installed, as well as Internet Explore, but prefer Chrome out of the three. IE is my least favourite!
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine - thank you.

I have now downloaded Google Chrome. One of the reasons that I did this was that when syncing FTM with Ancestry and then trying to open in this particular case a copy of the 1911 census, it was not opening and even now with Google Chrome it is still not opening. I have tried to e mail Ancestry but an error message comes up saying that it cant be sent Does anyone know if there is a problem with Ancestry or is it just me?

Thanks

Comment

The ads you described are a classic symptom of a malware infection on your PC. This can occur even with up to date antivirus software and I'd recommend your first step should be to use the free version of Malwarebytes to clean your PC........https://www.malwarebytes.org/

FTM uses an internal version of IE for some of its functionality, so even if the malware isn't affecting Chrome, it is best to get rid of it. If the problems with the census persist after running Malwarebytes, then at least one of the possible culprits has been ruled out.
        Rick

Comment

Thank you once again I have downloaded Malawarebytes and the problems "appears" to have gone

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
            Thank you once again I have downloaded Malawarebytes and the problems "appears" to have gone
            Glad that worked Gill

Val - Adblocker will stop streaming and popup ads delivered from websites, but Malware is installed on your PC hard drive and is more akin to a virus infection. If it isn't physically removed, it will always be there ready to cause trouble !
            Rick

Comment

I was going to mention I used a laptop yesterday I hadn't used for ages and I ran malwarebytes it found over 700 errors ??? which I was shocked at, I stupidly clicked to remove them then my screen went blank I lost the taskbar and the options to either log off shut down etc ,had to turn it off manually then re started it and loads of errors came up it took ages to correct them ? what do you think happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                I was going to mention I used a laptop yesterday I hadn't used for ages and I ran malwarebytes it found over 700 errors ??? which I was shocked at, I stupidly clicked to remove them then my screen went blank I lost the taskbar and the options to either log off shut down etc ,had to turn it off manually then re started it and loads of errors came up it took ages to correct them ? what do you think happened?
                It sounds like it was a bad infection Val. If Malwarebytes is now running without errors and the laptop is behaving itself then it has done it job.
                Rick

Comment

I never have any errors usually so it was unusual to say the least, I did wonder if I had installed a dodgy malwarebytes? anyway I am on it now and touch wood it seems fine.
                  Thanks Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X