Internet Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Connection

I hope that someone may be able to help me. I am one of the thousands who were told by Virgin that they were no longer able to use their broadband service and would be transferred to Talk Talk.

I went live today and connected the router OK and connected to the internet . The problem I have is that I have a Edimax 11n USB Wireless LAN in the back of my PC and having deleted Virgin Media I am not sure how to set it up with Talk Talk. Under "Available Network" it shows Talk Talk and if I then click on "Add to Profile" the next box asks for Network Key. Is this the Talk Talk password?

I am sure that if I close down the PC I will then have to manually connect to the network every time.

From my previous threads you will know I am not very technically minded!
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

The network key is the 16 (usually) character key to access the wireless router and isn't normally the same as the password used to connect the router to the internet. If your router was supplied by Talk Talk then it is probably on a label on the bottom of the router or in the documentation somewhere.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thank you very much. It just means that I have to go up in the loft to access the router in the morning (just about to go out!). I'll let you know.
      Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

I lost my TT Broadband for the first time about Christmas and no way could I reset it. I telephoned the helpline (a free call). I had a very helpful lady in distant parts with most excellent English. I cannot praise her enough and it was a very complex problem but she got me up and running after about an hour. I too did not have my original modem box so she reset the modem password and code number.
        I hope you may find something in this thread to help you and save you a trip to your loft.
        Last edited by Margaret N; 06-03-15, 22:11.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

If you don't mind me saying, why is the router in the loft? I find I need to keep an eye on mine as its light give messages about how its working. Alsomif there's a connection problem I turn it off and on again, which often solves the problem. I can'imagine having to get into the loft every time I need to see what its doing.
          Anne

Comment

there was I thinking she had a new one and the old one was in the loft

Comment

If you mean that your old router is in the loft I think the number on your new router would be the one to use.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

To Pete - thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately the numbers on the bottom of the router didn't help. (They were the serial number and the MAC ID)

To Margaret - thanks for replying to my problem. Unfortunately it's not a router problem - the router works fine, my sister can use her laptop to her heart's content. In fact when I start up my PC if I connect to Talk Talk network manually I can still use my PC, I just can't manage to connect automatically.

To Anne - It's not as bad as it sounds - I live in a bungalow! It's in the loft because I now have the main phone socket up there and, being a bungalow it is the best place for it with regard to reception for laptops in other rooms etc (there are no walls in the way). I sometimes had problems when I was with Virgin until an ex-BT engineer suggested I move it up there and then it was wonderful. Remains to be seen if Talk Talk is as good.

To Val and Chrissie - my old Virgin router was in the loft and so now is the new Talk Talk one.

Once again, many thanks to you all for your comments.

Bev

Comment

I don't understand how you can connect manually without the network security key but not automatically. Setting up an automatic connection is exactly the same as doing it manually apart from ticking an extra box; you need the network security key regardless.

Are you sure you are picking the correct wireless connection from the list? It could be that you are trying to connect to a neighbours router.

Try this:-

Start - Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network and Sharing Center - 2/3 of the way down the page 'Connect to a network'.

A box will pop up with a list of available wireless networks. One of them will show 'Connected'. First of all make sure this is your router (the name of the network will have been provided with your Talk Talk documentation).

Press the 'Esc' key to close that box.

Back on the Network and Sharing Center screen at the top there is a diagram showing your computer and how it connects to the internet. Underneath this on the right there is a box that has Access type Internet and under that Connection Wireless Network Connection (YOUR_NETWORK_NAME). Click on this and the Wireless Network Connection Status window will open. In the middle of this click on Wireless Properties'. There are 4 tick boxes on this page; the top one is 'Connect automatically when the network is in range' so make sure this is ticked. Click OK and close all the windows.

If this doesn't work I am at a loss as to what is wrong.
                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Hi Pete

Many thanks for your response. In fact the answer to 'the network key' problem was the Talk Talk password! Once that was entered and confirmed it all connected to the network automatically and, touch wood, I have had no problems since then.

It was very good of you to spend your time thinking how to solve my problem and thank you once again.

Bev

Comment

Working...
                    X