CCleaner Duplicate File Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCleaner Duplicate File Finder

I have just run this and wondered is it safe to delete one of any duplicates even if the title is different ?
    Also what about Drive Wiper.

I have just tried this with Ccleanerv4.02.4115 (64bit). The options for matching on this version are Name, Size & Modified date so unless the version you are using has different options, or you have not ticked Match by Name, then you should not get duplicates with different titles.

However, that is not the only problem. If you run a duplicate finder on a folder which includes application folders, like "Program Files", then you may well get duplicate files with extension dll (dynamic link library), it could do some damge deleting one of these since it may stop the associated application working. In fact you should probably add the folders "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" and "ProgramData" to the Exclkude tab before you search.

If you need to run a duplicate finder I would recommend that you pick one which, amongst other things, does full byte-by-byte searches and, very important, gives you options for selection. I personally use Anti-Twin, http://www.anti-twin.com/, which is portable so can be installed on a USB stick. It also gives you the option of moving the duplicates into another folder so that if you accidentally try to delete something important then it is easy to recover and in addition if all is well you can complete the deletion of the contents of that folder later.

David

Comment

thanks David the version I have is v5.00.5050 and when I ran it found quite a few duplicates most doubles with the same identity, there were some doubles with different identities so wont touch them, but wondered about the others,I did look at them and they were things like Photos in two different locations like Pictures and downloads.
      This pc is playing up a lot and really need to find out if maybe my memory is low ?
      Sometimes quite often when I click on a site it freezes completely and I cannot even get Task manager to open.

Comment

Which browser are you using? (The problem you are describing soumds like it might be caused by a browser add-on)

Did you use CCleaner to clear your browser temporary internet files?

David

Comment

I use Chrome and IE9 ,I do run CCleaner every night before I close down,

Comment

Val

I am out of ideas. You seem to be doing everything right so I do not know what to suggest, sorry.

David

Comment

Thanks David for your help I do appreciate it, I wonder if its a windows update I did again

Comment

Working...
              X