Mouse/computer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse/computer problem

I wonder if anyone can help me. This problem has occurred before and I can't remember how it was fixed.

Every few words the computer sticks and I get a row of the last letter typed - cannot erase it until the computer makeeeeeeeeeeeeees a noise - it also sticks on one letter and although I stop typing, the last letter continues as above! I then have to left click mouse to continue.
    I know there is a way to stop it but can't remember how - I think it is to do with using key short cuts which had been switched off but the computer has appeared to have reverted to the previous programme where this happened before. These keyboard short cuts need to be turned off...................any clues as to how I do this please.

Sue

Sue

Does this happen in all situations where you are typing: notepad, family history, browser search etc or is there just one program where it happens.

I have to say from your description it sounds to me like sticking keys on the keyboard. If you have access to another keyboard it is probably worth trying to se if the problem occurs on both keyboards.

David

Comment

It happens on all programmes that I have used over the last ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc f days. The first time it ever happened i.e. a few months ago, ittttttttttttt seemed to be something to do with the new mouse - but it may be not the mouse but programming the keys so that shortcuts can be used. When it happened before (and exactly the same this time) everytime the keyboard was about to "switch" of there is a peeping sound from the computer (not the keyboard).

Somewhere on the computer there is a facility to "turn off shortcuts" i.e. shortcut keystrokes and I can't remember where it is although I remmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm seeing it previously. Where would I look for this?
      The printer has also ceased to workkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk - I think it has unprogrammed itself!
      Sue

ps should mention that to stop me losing a programme I was working on yesterday I unplugged a few things but they are all re-plugged now and in the right places
      Last edited by Sue1; 03-12-14, 19:03.

Comment

Sue

I think you may be talking about Ease of Access options. There is a very clear explanation of how to turn off keyboard repeats here

David

Comment

David,

Thank you very much for that. Just looked at the link you gave and I think this may be the thing I remember using before. Rather than doing it myself I am going to be mean and get my husband to have a go - if it goes wrong I won't get the blame! I seem to remember when it happened before the number lock kept going on and off also - that is not happening this time.

Sue

Comment

Husband appears to have fixed problem with repeat keys and also re-connected printer. Can't imagine what happened to cause it to change in any way - I was in the middle of typing!!!!

I haven't put it to the test except on this E-mail but all seems fine.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sue

Comment

I seem to remember something like this happened to me once and it was because I had held down a particular key for too long (it may have been Ctrl). If you do that it switches on some command in the computer.
              ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Thanks Ann. It is quite possible I DID do something like that - must remember to be a bit more careful in future. It is the second time it has happened and I couldn't remember how it was fixed the first time.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                X