Advise on a Tablet please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on a Tablet please

am thinking of getting one but have no idea what to look for , I dont want to spend a lot of money yet, what sort of memory should I look for etc Thanks

I think the first question is "what do you want to use it for" - reading books, playing games, emails, surfing the web, FH research ??
    Elaine

Comment

Just Emails FMP and Ancestry thanks Elaine I'm not into games.;)
      Last edited by Guest; 11-11-14, 19:12.

Comment

It sounds as if you want to use if mainly for your family history stuff - and my feeling is that a tablet is probably not the ideal device.

I certainly wouldn't recommend anything less than a 10 inch screen and even that I would find too small. In the evenings I use a laptop which has a 15" screen - it would drive me mad trying to navigate round Ancestry or FMP on anything any smaller! Bear in mind as well that when you are using a tablet your virtual keyboard that you use takes up some of the screen - so if you have a 10 inch screen with the virtual keyboard taking up the bottom 25% of it, there's not much left to work on!

The majority of tablets have an android operating system, not Windows, so you couldn't install your Family Tree Maker or anything like that on it - and a lot of people seem to use the ancestry app, rather than ancestry via a web browser - not too sure what the difference is.

If I was buying a "tablet like" device I would get something like a Lenovo Ideapad which has the flip over base, so you can use it with a keyboard, or flip it over and use the virtual keyboard on the screen. Sorry it's a Spanish link but it shows you the sort of thing I mean. Whether this model is value for money, I'm not sure - just showing you the type of thing I mean.

... or I would consider a small screen laptop.

Doesn't really answer your question - hopefully someone with the technical knowledge can tell you what specifications you should be looking at - just my personal view that a tablet is not what I would want to use for researching on Ancestry and FMP!
        Elaine

Comment

thanks very much Elaine as I said I'm thick about these things I already have a Desktop and two Laptops which are the full size, but can be a nuisance when I cannot use this room .
          I hadn't thought of getting a small one thanks

Comment

If you've already got two laptops, then I might be tempted to buy a small table to put one on so that you could use it when you're sitting in your armchair! I think they are called TV tray tables - or something like that!
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              If you've already got two laptops, then I might be tempted to buy a small table to put one on so that you could use it when you're sitting in your armchair! I think they are called TV tray tables - or something like that!
              I bought this one from Wilkos http://www.wilko.com/laptop-tables/l...0?VBMST=Laptop table I see that they now do three and I'm sure that others do similar ones. It is quite heavy but portable and you can adjust it to suit the height of the chair that you are using.

Margaret.
              Margaret

Comment

thanks for that Elaine and Margaret for the link good idea.

Comment

Working...
                X