Adobe Acrobat Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Acrobat Reader

I have Adobe Reader but have been trying to view stuff which says I must have Adobe Acrobat Reader is there a way to view these on Adobe Reader and is there a free download for Adobe Acrobat if not
    Thanks

AFAIK Adobe Reader and Acrobat Reader are the same thing; it is probably an issue with different version numbers. The latest version is available here http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

I gave up on Adobe ages ago and use Fox-it Pro. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

This is loads better than Adobe as it lets you add notes and highlights to the file, and save them.

Be careful when you install it; it is one of those applications that tries to trip you up on the questions it asks during install, and if you are not careful you will end up with the Ask toolbar and all sorts of other rubbish. Having said that Adobe tries to install a load of rubbish as well!
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks Pete I shall be very careful;)

Comment

well its installed but I never saw the ask toolbar bit and I really read it all so hope it does not appear, now can I uninstall anything to do with Adobe now will it be safe ? thanks

Comment

Go to your Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel if you XP. It's also in the Control Panel under Programs/Uninstall a Program if you have Windows 7. It will have a wee think and then produce you a list of everything. Choose the ones you want to remove (one at a time) and click the Change/Remove button and follow any instructions that come up. Mostly you don't need to do anything at all as removal is automatic.

Don't remove Adobe Flash Player or Adobe ShockWave Player as you need them for viewing video files like on BBC IPlayer, YouTube etc.

Always, always, always check every page/infobox when you download something new in case it tries to sneak in something you don't want. It can happen at any stage of an installation so keep an eagle eye out.

My choice of pdf reader is Nitro Reader 3. It's a nice neat programme, easy to use, free and doesn't hog your pc like Adobe Acrobat does. Currently Nitro 3 does not have any sneakily embedded rubbish software. BTW, if you click on a link that says you need Adobe to read it, that's not true. If you have another pdf reader installed, the site will work that out and open the file in your own pdf programme. Nitro 3 can be downloaded from http://download.cnet.com/Nitro-PDF-Reader-32-bit/3000-10743_4-75205901.html
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 08-10-14, 10:33.

Comment

thanks very much Galloway shall look into that

Comment

You can safely get rid of anything to do with Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader, but as Galloway says don't uninstall Shockwave or Flash.

Fox-it should integrate with your browser to view pdfs online but you may need to install it seperately. If that is the case you should be prompted to do so.

However I find it much better to download and open pdfs in the local viewer by right clicking the link; it has far more facilities than the plug-in for your browser.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks again Pete am grateful.

Comment

Working...
                X