Why wont Shortcut photos open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why wont Shortcut photos open

I just transferred some photos from my PC to a Laptop on a USB Flash ,I started a new folder put the photos in and transferred the folder to the laptop , its sitting there and I can see there are photos in it but when I try to access them this is what I get Capture.JPG
    Anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong thanks

Hello Val,

Just a thought do you think that it would be worth leaving the USB in the laptop until you have opened the folder and saved it to the 'C' drive. You may only have a 'shortcut with nothing to back it up. I don't understand the message I have googled it and am none the wiser. It looks as if it could be a network problem and I notice that Macs have a similar problem.
    Sorry viewers that my jargon is not technical.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 26-08-14, 22:21.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

thanks Margaret am just about to try again so frustrating

Comment

Val

The message indicates that you do not have the actual photographs on your laptop but rather shortcuts to the photograsps. There are two possible places they could appear from what you have said.

The first transfer from PC to USB only transfered shortcuts to the photographs on your PC, the second transfer from the USB key to the laptop only transferred shortcuts.

Right click one of the shortcuts that is giving you the message and select properties from the menu. Should be at the bottom. If it is a shortcut then on the front sheet of the Properties page you should see a target (filename) and a target location. This should tell you where the photograph that you are pointing to is located.

The question of why you have shortcuts and not the actual photographs I cannot answer.

David

Comment

oh blast they have disappearered now ? the folder is empty, thanks David going to have another go see what happens I may be bac;)k

Comment

David,

I am pleased that I was thinking along the same lines as I have had similar problems in the past. I just did not quite get my tongue round the jargon.

Val, Be certain to copy your photos from your 'C' disk or drag the folder using Windows Explorer to the USB. I find with Windows 7 that to just click on a title like My Pictures on the main screen I only get a Shortcut - but not always.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

well I managed to get them but then made a silly mistake I wanted to rename each one , so highlighted them all instead of one by mistake now they all have the same title:(

Comment

I'm guessing from the time that you have closed down since doing that. I know this is stable door after the horse is gone but if you do that again type Ctrl+Z immediately and there is a reasonable chance that it will revert back to what it was.

In the meantime..back to square one?

David

Comment

thanks David I am so mad with myself spent ages last night trying to rename them ,they are Wade Houses I wanted to sell on ebay trouble is I dont know the names of each one so had to find them on the internet to name mine .
                  I am hoping to put them up for sale tonight.

Comment

Working...
                  X