Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain this message

The last couple of days I have had a 'pop up' appear on screen which says

Your system is low in virtual memory paging file. During this process memory request for some applications may be denied. For info See help.

Bearing in mind I am using Windows XP and my computer is about 7 years old, is it something I should get sorted. Haven't a clue what it means and am hoping to ignore it!!!

Lesley.

Virtual memory is hard disk space that is used as system memory temporarily, and the amount of space allocated to it can be changed.

This Microsoft article explains it, and more importantly how to fix it. Scroll down to the 'Fix it yourself' section; I don't know if the 'Fix it for me' will work as XP isn't supported any more.

Last edited by PeteW1959; 23-07-14, 16:53.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks for that information PeteW. Have printed off those instructions to attempt later. If I do nothing, what effect will it have? Do you or anybody know? Bit of a coward when it comes to 'messing' with something I know nothing about!!

Lesley

Comment

It is likely to make large applications slow or even crash, or worse still cause Windows to crash. This would be particularly noticeable when you have more than one application open at once e.g browser, Word, PDF reader and family tree program. The more programs you have open, the more likely they are to crash.
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

So deleting some of my stored photos etc. wouldn't help?.

OK PeteW. Thanks very much for you explaination and advice.

Lesley

Comment

Deleting stuff from your hard drive might help, as long as the paging file is set high enough in the first place. If the setting for paging file is set for Windows to adjust it as in needs to, there may not be enough space on the drive if it is almost full.
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Think you are right about not being able to change the settings. Just tried and it said 'needs to be logged in to system administrator' which I assume to be Windows XP.

Will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best now. I know the time will come to replace my computer but hate all the hassle that goes with it!!

Thanks again PeteW. Your reply is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                Think you are right about not being able to change the settings. Just tried and it said 'needs to be logged in to system administrator' which I assume to be Windows XP.

Will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best now. I know the time will come to replace my computer but hate all the hassle that goes with it!!

Thanks again PeteW. Your reply is much appreciated.
                If you are the only user on the PC you should have system admin rights. Check in the user list and if necessary log in again as the system admin user.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X