Do I need free AVG download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need free AVG download

if I already have AVAST and Anti Malwares installed? (Windows 7)

My pal has been advised to download AVG as his e mail contact list keeps being hacked (?Trojan) and we receive spam mails as though from him. He is with BT/Yahoo mail Windows XP and has AVAST and Anti Malwares like me.

AVG free download looks similar to AVAST to me.

Any advice welcome. I am going to my pal's tomorrow pm to help him with it.

Many thanks.
    Liz

You can use either but NEVER USE TWO ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS TOGETHER! They end up fighting with each other and can be worse than having no protection!

However I have seen several people not happy with Avast, so it may be better to replace it with AVG, but uninstall Avast first.

He may have a trojan, so running MalwareBytes Anti Malware should clear it, but if it is the free version it does not provide 'live' protection, you need to manually run it from time to time. However not all malware scanners detect everything, so it may be worth running another one as well (the 'not two together' rule doesn't apply if you are just running manual scans). Try HitmanPro as it often picks up stuff that Malwarebytes misses.

I would also recommend changing email passwords in case they are accessing the account directly.
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 18-07-14, 14:50.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

That Hitman is wonderful it found things nothing else had.

Comment

Thanks Pete & Val.
        Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
          if I already have AVAST and Anti Malwares installed? (Windows 7)

My pal has been advised to download AVG as his e mail contact list keeps being hacked (?Trojan) and we receive spam mails as though from him. He is with BT/Yahoo mail Windows XP and has AVAST and Anti Malwares like me.

AVG free download looks similar to AVAST to me.

Any advice welcome. I am going to my pal's tomorrow pm to help him with it.

Many thanks.
          It is a very common problem with BT who use Yahoo for emails and the password is where hackers get access so changing that regularly is the key to keeping safe. Another way is to change email address to gmail who so far don't seem to suffer the same in terms of hackers - I suspect the have better security on their servers.
          Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. When we logged in to pal's BT/Yahoo account to change the password, a message was there telling him unusual activity on his mail account and to change password. I am working on him to go Google Mail but he is too afraid of changing. Will have another go.
            Liz

Comment

And, don't forget Facebook.
              When you sign up with Facebook it will go through your e-mail address book and mail everyone on it with an invitation from you to join them.
              This is not the only issue I have with them - but this is not the place.
              Some of the other social networking sites have started to do the same thing on invitations.

Of course, I don't use Outlook as a mail program, and I don't have a conventional address book - and I do use Gmail as well. I usually devote the first Sunday morning of each month for running the non-automatic protection programs. And, trust me, sooner or later, someone will slip something past all your protection.

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Geoff. Not on Facebook but my pal is although doesn't use it. He has forgotten his password...We do want to cancel his account. Must have another go when I am next over at his house.
                Liz

Comment

I have dragged my pal kicking and screaming into changing from Yahoo to Google Mail.
                  Liz

Comment

The good news for BT Customers is that BT are coming off Yahoo! soon.

Comment

That will be an improvement from my pal's experience...
                      Liz

Comment

Working...
                      X