Help please - this is sending me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - this is sending me crazy

Hi. I don't know if anyone can help, I hope so.

About 2 weeks ago I had my PC serviced and the computer people installed, without my sayso/agreement, a new wireless network adapter. When I got the PC home I expected to just get up and running - too easy! I couldn't connect to the internet at all. Having spoken to the service people about it, all they could tell me was that as far as they were concerned I needed to contact my ISP (Virgin). I rang Virgin 2 or 3 times, I spoke to a different Asian person each time struggling to understand them. The second person told me to use the ethernet cable (which worked fine) and the 3rd person told me I had an old router and if I agreed to stay with them for 12 months they would send me a new router. So I did and they did. On Tuesday I changed the old router for the new one and now I have to connect to the network every time I start up the PC. The connection keeps 'falling off' I think is the term they used.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions? I have a suggestion but it won't solve the problem!

With thanks
    Beverley
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Beverley

This is an annoying problem but solutions do tend to depend on precisely what operating system you are using.

There is a tutorial here http://www.leeindy.com/text_how_to_s..._network.shtml but I think that works for Windows versions prior to 8.

On Windows 8.1, which I am using, if I click the wireless icon in the system tray it pops up a list of available networks and on disconnecting and then reconnecting there is an option to connect automatically.

Another question: do you have software other than windows which is managing your network, for example, management software installed with your original router which is still trying to manage the connection?

David

Comment

David

Thanks for getting back to me. Before I answer your questions I noticed something while perusing the Network and Sharing Centre. I linked to 'Manage wireless networks' and it shows the network name I used when I had the old router and it also says 'automatically connect' with it; it doesn't show the network name I am using with my new router. Could this be the problem and any ideas how I go about putting it right?

BTW I use Windows Vista on my PC. As far as I know there is no mamagement software installed.

Beverley
      Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

HI Beverley

I beleive you have found the problem, your PC is attempting to connect to the old router and can't so asks to connect to one of the other networks. There are explicit instructions (for Vista) on this website

as to how to remove the connection and how to set up a new automatic connection.

David

Comment

David

Many thanks.
          Here's hoping!

Beverley

Comment

Hi it's me again!

I followed the instructions as per the link but when I shut down and start up again, it still appears with my old network name and I still have to connect to the network manually! Grrr!

Beverley

Comment

Beverley have you tried going on the Virgin forum for help ,I find it easier to go to forums than ringing

Comment

Thanks Val

Certainly worth a try. Will give it a go now.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                X