Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium free trial expiring 4 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium free trial expiring 4 days

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (Trial) installed free by the computer shop recently when it installed Windows 7 expires in 4 days!

The free one I had on with XP was ongoing. I have clicked the icon on my toolbar which has a warning exclamation mark on but the only option seems to buy Premium and End Free Trial.

I have googled and see from the Malware website that the free one is available to download. Should that be sufficient for me along with Avast? It must be what I had before. Do I download the free version and then cancel the free trial one or leave both on my computer and let the free trial expire?

Also notice my Windows Defender is active and wonder if I need that and Avast?

Many thanks. I am learning not to panic ...
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 10-05-14, 21:31.
    Liz

The free Malwarebytes version should be perfectly fine - remove the trial version, then download the free one. Just run it once in a while, or when you think you may have downloaded something problematic.

I believe Windows Defender is an antispyware program, much the same as Malwarebytes - so you probably don't need to use both of those, and could not bother with Malwarebytes at all.

Avast is an antivirus package.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 11-05-14, 14:51.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Liz, my husband had a similar problem last week - even though he had originally downloaded the free trial offer.
      When the box pops up to say that your Premium Trial is due to expire in x days, he said that in small print at the bottom of that box was an option to CANCEL. Just click on that and it automatically takes you to the free version.
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you, Anthony and Elaine. Saved my bacon, once more .

ADDED: No small print under mine, Elaine, and when I cancelled the free trial, the icon on my toolbar disappeared. However, it was still in my Programmes and I clicked on it and said Yes to altering my hard drive, whatever and the icon is back on toolbar and active as free version.

Whew!
        Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 11-05-14, 16:04.
        Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
          ...when I cancelled the free trial, the icon on my toolbar disappeared.
          That is the main difference between the free and premium versions. The premium runs silently in the background giving you 'real-time' protection, whereas you have to run the free version manually.
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks, Pete. I still have Windows Defender which has prompted me to scan now, which have done.

Do I have to regularly scan with Malware too. Have I understood right that I have to do that manually? When I had XP, I must admit I never did anything...
            Liz

Comment

Just like checking the oil, water and tyre pressures in your car, you should always check some things regularly on your PC.

This includes running a malware scan with Malwarebytes (other scanners are available), a virus scan and updates. You could also run a disc defragmenter and clear out old and duplicated files occasionally, but this isn't as important as it used to be, as hard drives are much bigger and faster than they used to be.

Some of these things do run automatically, but that very much depends on the version (e.g. free or paid).
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thank you, Pete.
                Liz

Comment

Working...
                X