VHS to DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHS to DVD

I have quite a few family videos I'd like to transfer to DVD before they deteriorate but none of the affordable video capture devices have very good reviews.

My TV has an option to record TV programmes on to a USB stick or external hard drive, although I've never tried it.

If I find I can record videos played through a video player attached to the TV on to my external HD, would I be able to view them via Windows movie maker and save them on to a DVD? I have a Windows 7 laptop.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

As long as they are recorded in the formats that Windows Movie Player accepts, most commonly .wmv or .avi.

The problem that you may encounter is the size of the file being created may not save on a memory stick and you would be better off attaching an external drive.

Then using Movie maker, you can edit etc and export to a DVD

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor, it sounds like it might be worth a try then, although I'm guessing I won't have a choice as to what format it saves in.

The FAQs in the TV guide say that the HD has to be formatted to the FAT32 file system so I'll have to check whether I can actually work out how to do that, then buy an aerial lead to connect the VCR to the TV.
      Gillian

Comment

Hi Gillian

If you want to produce a decent image you must try to avoid using an aerial lead connection. If you can do scart to scart then that would probably be the best.

Another thing to bear in mind is that DVD is a sharper format than VHS so your copies may look a bit fuzzy. With tapes of family events I have found it quite acceptable to put up with that in order to keep a record of the event.

If you have a small screen device, ipod, iPhone, small tablet then recording a copy at the original resolution will usually give you a very viewable picture but obviously only for a limited number of people to view at the same time.

MovieMaker is a good way to output these various formats.

David

Comment

Dave does this as part of his business. If you are interested send him a PM and he'll get in touch with you. There would be a small charge obviously.
          Last edited by WendyPusey; 15-01-14, 17:51.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi David - thanks for that information. Like you, I would be happy to accept a degree of fuzziness in preference to losing irreplaceable film of family.

It's years since I needed to connect a VCR to a TV. I tried to test the old VCR player last night by connecting it to a small flat screen TV but, although I could hear the tape running, I couldn't get sound or a picture on the TV screen. However, I didn't really have a clue what leads I should be using where so I settled for connecting a scart lead between the two and also running the aerial cable in to the VCR player. I had a vague memory of having to connect the TV and VCR by an aerial lead back in the day when I had an analogue TV, set top box, DVD player and VCR player all linked, so I thought maybe that's why I couldn't get the video sound and picture on the TV yesterday. From what you say, it seems I shouldn't need an aerial cable connected at all?

Of course, this may all be academic if I find problems or drawbacks with formatting my external HD to FAT32.:D

Wendy - thank you. I didn't realise there was anyone on the island who did the transfers and I was reluctant to send the films by post anywhere. I do like a challenge, so I'll have a go at the saving to USB/transferring to MovieMaker/burning to DVD method first but it's good to know I can call on Dave to do the job if I fail miserably!
            Gillian

Comment

Working...
            X